• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How much will I regret removing this? [32-3 V-Berth Lockers]

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Where my tools are (not the drill) is a large, top-loading locker. Are y’all saying that the tank is under the locker? I’m starting feel a little thick but as long as Metzger doesn’t call me out...

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Where my tools are (not the drill) is a large, top-loading locker. Are y’all saying that the tank is under the locker? I’m starting feel a little thick but as long as Metzger doesn’t call me out...
My tank is IN the locker. Dumb question but do you know for sure that you HAVE a forward water tank? I believe it was an extra add-on from the factory..

windblown

Member III
On our 32-3, there's the usual cover over that section forward of the area with the drawers and head holding tank (where your tools are). If you lift that cover, it reaveals a storage area that looks 6- 10" deep, but the bottom of that storage area is another shelf, and if you lift that up: voila! There's some plywood framing, and there's the foward fresh water tank!

Filkee

Sustaining Member
My tank is IN the locker. Dumb question but do you know for sure that you HAVE a forward water tank? I believe it was an extra add-on from the factory..
Not a dumb question. I have a valve under the sink that says forward and a deck fill but every time I’ve put a hose in the fill it goes straight into the bilge so it could just be a big PO practical joke. :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not a dumb question. I have a valve under the sink that says forward and a deck fill but every time I’ve put a hose in the fill it goes straight into the bilge so it could just be a big PO practical joke. :)
Taking the information literally, the fill hose is broken or simply not connected to the tank.
One caution about tanks and especially hoses: any of this stuff that is over (in round numbers) 30 years old is way overdue for replacement.
Other than one section of supply tubing (gray Qest brand) from our aft water tank, we have replaced *all* of the original hoses. That was done over about a decade. Not that difficult.

Going forward: if it's not too difficult to do, I would strongly advise changing at least some of the tanks to the stock fill arrangement used by the EY Olson's..... no deck fill and no hose from that fill point. Stock system was a 2" spin-out 'plug' on each tank top. I have long upgraded it to a stock 6" clean out port.

You tip up the cushion or move it aside. Then, thru the 7" cutout in the settee top piece of plywood you reach down an inch & unscrew the plug. Then bring inside the end of the hose, with water 'on', and a small $2. ball valve screwed onto the hose end. Insert & turn the valve on, and fill the tank.
No drips or fuss. When done, turn off the valve, and put away the hose.
This method seemed odd when we acquired the boat, but we immediately learned to like having zero problems with contamination from bad O-rings on deck fills, and dealing with tank connection & hose problems. Of course we do not have the entertainment of ignoring a running hose jammed into a deck fill and seeing water pushed out of the vent fitting! :)

Last edited:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Taking the information literally, the fill hose is broken or simply not connected to the tank.
One caution about tanks and especially hoses: any of this stuff that is over (in round numbers) 30 years old is way overdue for replacement.
Other than one section of supply tubing (gray Qest brand) from our aft water tank, we have replaced *all* of the original hoses. That was done over about a decade. Not that difficult.

Going forward: if it's not too difficult to do, I would strongly advise changing at least some of the tanks to the stock fill arrangement used by the EY Olson's..... no deck fill and no hose from that fill point. Stock system was a 2" spin-out 'plug' on each tank top. I have long upgraded it to a stock 6" clean out port.

You tip up the cushion or move it aside. Then, thru the 7" cutout in the settee top piece of plywood you reach down an inch & unscrew the plug. Then bring inside the end of the hose, with water 'on', and a small $2. ball valve screwed onto the hose end. Insert & turn the valve on, and fill the tank.
No drips or fuss. When done, turn off the valve, and put away the hose.
This method seemed odd when we acquired the boat, but we immediately learned to like having zero problems with contamination from bad O-rings on deck fills, and dealing with tank connection & hose problems. Of course we do not have the entertainment of ignoring a running hose jammed into a deck fill and seeing water pushed out of the vent fitting! :)
So many paths to a better life. Did you stick with the Qest when you replaced?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Having found a couple of small leaks near the pump, I got good advice about the weakness of that product (from other EY owners here, matter off fact), and replaced all but one less-acessable run from the aft tank. I went with reinforced hose, certified safe for drinking water, and barb fittings and also reformatted most of the piping system. I went to our local 'industrial' hose and fitting store and explained that I needed xx feet of hose, and the counter guy showed me some flourescent yellow tubing with reinforcement fabric.... commonly used for air hose for folks depending on positive (pressurized) air in hazardous conditions. (!) Rated for something like 300 psi, or thereabouts.

Priced super competitively compared to tubing form "Tiffanys By The Sea".
:)

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I have 3 tanks, each with its own deck fill plate (1 port and 2 starboard). One of the stbd deck fills was not bedded properly to the deck. The leaking deck water transited every stbd settee and galley compartment and drained onto the sole in front of the stove. I sealed both stbd deck fill holes 2 years ago.

Just recently bought new filler hose, 1 new filler plate, and a Y-valve. I'm going to fill the stbd and center tanks from a single deck fill located stbd. The Y valve and hoses are in the V-berth hanging locker.

Last edited:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Here's mine. The lid is just resting over the fwd water tank.
I'm going to pull a drawer out tomorrow to see what sort of space is to stbd of the drawers - would love to discover additional usable storage space (tools?, food?, water?).

Attachments

• IMG_5047.jpg
    IMG_5047.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5048.jpg
    IMG_5048.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 14

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I'm sure my forward tank is where yours is too - I haven't been up there in a long while, but I remember easily getting the lid off and seeing that tank.
Part of the space under that lid in the foreground of Filkee's pic will be occupied by the drawers, but I wonder what's to starboard of them (behind where his drill is sitting)?

Your post got me to realize that while I never removed the right side of that aft panel, I have removed the drawers to get to the depth transducer in the hull because that is where mine is. With the drawers out, there is a fiberglass shelf to their right and it goes pretty far so there couldn't be a tank there for anything.
That shelf would make a nice hiding spot for valuables.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Looked at my 32-3 in terms of this thread while at the boat today.

WATER TANKS: Mine are both in the salon area, one beneath the port outboard seating, immediately aft of the bulkhead with the head. The second is beneath the starboard seating, immediately aft of the bulkhead to the V-berth closet. None are beneath the V-berth. The V-berth sits above three compartments and the forward two are just storage.

The aft portion beneath the V-berth had the waste tank beneath the left portion, the drawers center, and the OP question was what is to the right of the drawers. After removal of the waste tank I gained a huge amount of storage in what is now one of the biggest dry lockers in the boat. And no longer have the sound of sloshing waste.

In my last post I noted that there is a fiberglass shelf to the right of the drawers and with the drawers out, this photo is of that shelf which goes all the way to the hull. The shelf is part of the TAFG and is a pretty big hidden dead space, as shown by the roll of blue tape thrown in for scale. That shelf wraps around aft on the other side of the woodwork.
20201107_122815-XL.jpg

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Looked at my 32-3 in terms of this thread while at the boat today.

WATER TANKS: Mine are both in the salon area, one beneath the port outboard seating, immediately aft of the bulkhead with the head. The second is beneath the starboard seating, immediately aft of the bulkhead to the V-berth closet. None are beneath the V-berth. The V-berth sits above three compartments and the forward two are just storage.

The aft portion beneath the V-berth had the waste tank beneath the left portion, the drawers center, and the OP question was what is to the right of the drawers. After removal of the waste tank I gained a huge amount of storage in what is now one of the biggest dry lockers in the boat. And no longer have the sound of sloshing waste.

In my last post I noted that there is a fiberglass shelf to the right of the drawers and with the drawers out, this photo is of that shelf which goes all the way to the hull. The shelf is part of the TAFG and is a pretty big hidden dead space, as shown by the roll of blue tape thrown in for scale. That shelf wraps around aft on the other side of the woodwork.
Here's my pic of the same space, which I also took today ;-)
- the shelf is about 12" x 8" x 12" (DxWxH)

hidden storage pocket.jpg

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Sounds like 1 or 2 hinged cabinet doors instead of the 3 pullout drawers could provide a much bigger storage space in that area.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Sounds like 1 or 2 hinged cabinet doors instead of the 3 pullout drawers could provide a much bigger storage space in that area.
We must think alike. I am combining the space of the lower two drawers into a cabinet and keeping the top drawer. The reason for the cabinet is really because that is the access to the depth transducer and trying to snake an arm down there with the existing woodwork was really hard to do. Still may remove the top drawer, but it is a convenient junk collector.

Morning Rain

Hello,

I found this post after starting my holding tank and hose replacement for my E32-3. I, too, found the free space under the aft position of the V-Berth, and I plan on adding a 6 in access port at the top of the V-berth above the free area. I'm curious if anyone has done this?

I also sanded and painted (bilge koat) the exposed wood and a formica-covered divider to the left of the two drawers and one hinged access door. I feel this has significantly impacted the residual old boat smell.

Access plate - good or bad idea