• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How to get stuck crush washer out of fuel injector hole

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hey there,

Finally got around to replacing my injectors and the third one was super sooted up. It didn't "crack" and extract easy, it took a lot of elbow grease with the breaker bar to get it out. Now, the old copper washer is stuck in the head, probably glued by carbon buildup. I've tried cleaning it extensively with Q tips and acetone but no dice, and I worry about sending crud down into the head.

Any tips on how to extract this? Ace already closed but tomorrow I'm gonna go get a set of picks and try that way.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Maybe figure out what thread size the injector is and find a straight threaded stud to screw in there temporarily. That way you could pick away vigorously without worrying about stuff falling into the hole. If you can't find the exact thread size, a slightly mismatched nylon or pvc fitting might still thread in far enough to block the hole.

Harbor freight has a pick set: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pick-set-93514.html
If the picks don't work I might think of escalating to PBblaster and a small torch (carefully).

Did you get Kubota injectors? Happen to have a part number? I have to do this job in the fall.

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
I did get Kubota injectors, there are something like 1000 part numbers for the same piece, but this is what you want:

I was lucky in that getting everything else off was mostly not an issue at all, just this remaining washer. I'll make sure to shop vac down into the Cylinder before closing up.

One item of concern is I can see clear soot/carbon buildup on the piston heads, not sure what that implies or what to do about it. Maybe it's time for that Seafoam treatment?

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Try lightly striking a wooden dowel diagonally with a hammer. You want to use hardwood so it doesn't smoosh off into the hole, put it at the ID of the hole, and get as much sideways force as possible at the hole. Then bend the tip of a piece of stiff baling/safety type of wire to use as a hook.

Afterward, a Seafoam treatment for the carbon is hard to beat.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Got it with a bunch more acetone swabs and a trick I googled... Large enough tapered flathead to wedge into the washer and twist. Hopefully that's the last of the gotchas...

Attachments

• IMG_20200615_155717.jpg
    IMG_20200615_155717.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 12

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good news and a good trick.

It's possible the last guy re-used the copper injector washers. We're supposed to use a new one each time the injector is removed, so they crush correctly. Who knows but the washer might have created the soot problem.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Geoff, just a question, you say that the injectors listed by the Oregon company were the correct size for your engine. I think you must have the Universal M25XP 3 cylinder engine and that Kubota block is listed as D950. But the part description from Oregon says the block is a 750. Do you indeed have the M25XP engine?

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I have a 1985 M25 as well. When I go to Kubota, I pick the B6200E tractor (which uses a D850 engine block) which corresponds to the M25.

Kubota shows the D850/M25 injector assy. as part #15271-53020. This is the last of the part numbers shown for the injector Geoff used.

Is this how you arrived at that part number, Geoff?

Thanks,

Geoff W.

Blogs Author

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Actually, one part is listed as 15271-53020 and one as 15271-53002. Don't know if there is a difference or if that was just someone's typo along the way. I do know that every time I've been to the Kubota dealer, they tell me the part number I've brought them has changed, and they have to cross-reference a new part number.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Actually, one part is listed as 15271-53020 and one as 15271-53002. Don't know if there is a difference or if that was just someone's typo along the way. I do know that every time I've been to the Kubota dealer, they tell me the part number I've brought them has changed, and they have to cross-reference a new part number.

I guess we'll find out if my engine runs... Once the exhaust is back together.... :)

also question for the thread - where do I put the Seafoam? In the primary fuel filter or the one on the engine itself?