• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hull Layup Schedule

Mark David

Member II
Happy Saturday! Can someone please help with the recommended layup schedule for filling in the hole from an abandoned through hull in a 1976 32-2? cloth or mat? thickness? number of layers/circles?

markvone

Sustaining Member
Here you go. I'm still using my old transducer as a plug.

Mark

Slick470

Member III
Mark, I did the layup described in the linked thread. I did it in one single process. It was relatively easy once I had all the prep done and was easier than the grinding part. Cutting the circles in the cloth wasn't hard either, just time consuming and a little dull.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, I seldom use the less-strong mat for anything. I use "bi-ax" and cloth and very occasionally some old roving. Andy is right about having all of the pieces cut out and laid out ready to go. (Like so many other projects, the prep work takes over half the allotted time, or more!)

markvone

Sustaining Member
Here you go. I'm still using my old transducer as a plug.

Mark
I thought I was doing a "total" bottom job over winter '18-'19 but after blasting off the old paint I decided to delay that job.

FWIW, I had the entire bottom blasted to gelcoat/lead including keel (mistake!) and rudder in 4 hours for $1296.00. The cost formula was Length x Length. The job was done perfectly by a local company that has a lot of experience (we have a lot of boats in Annapolis). I'm usually a DIY guy for every job that is labor intensive and I don't mind sanding but the time saved for the cost is hard to beat.

Mark

markvone

Sustaining Member
The E36RH has a lead, bolt on keel not the molded, internal lead version on some of the older E boats. Mine was in good shape including the hull- keel joint. After blasting, my keel was raw lead so I had to prep and recoat the lead using barrier coats before I could bottom paint adding steps and re-work I didn’t need to do and wasting days I could have used to finish paint my transom which is still primer. Since my boat is always in the water, I don’t know how the job has held up. My bottom diver will check it again soon.
I just didn’t think to tell the blaster to lay off the keel.
Mark