• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Humorous & Relevant Sailing Terms Yet Today

kapnkd

kapnkd
In the late 70’s, my then girlfriend (now my wife of 40 years) had gifted me with a book of very humorous sailing terms I still find relevant today.

5887730F-386F-43F1-BF89-CF9F708280BD.jpeg

During our boat’s recent TOTAL refit, the ice chest was one of the very last components to receive our needed - AND - hesitant to do attention (...so very similar to a needed baby’s diaper change in hopes the other will respond first).

One page remembered covered the term “Ice Chest” and those issues of but a few days neglect after a weekend sail! F33B1F42-7969-40A0-82B0-BADC986CB2E6.jpeg

Alas, the strange and grungy things that can grow (and smell) in such short order are AMAZING!

With a high tech M-95 Covid face mask, a few (several) beers, lots of Ajax Cleanser and holding my breath...I ATTACKED!
601B6002-C349-4DA3-9EAF-E649F64F0E32.jpeg
End results were NO bullets fired (Although prepared) and a finally clean ice chest again after so many years of not being used!

Amazing enough, our very early 80’s Adler Barber unit worked perfectly again when turned back on after all these years!!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
In the late 70’s, my then girlfriend (now my wife of 40 years) had gifted me with a book of very humorous sailing terms I still find relevant today.

View attachment 40438

During our boat’s recent TOTAL refit, the ice chest was one of the very last components to receive our needed - AND - hesitant to do attention (...so very similar to a needed baby’s diaper change in hopes the other will respond first).

One page remembered covered the term “Ice Chest” and those issues of but a few days neglect after a weekend sail! View attachment 40439

Alas, the strange and grungy things that can grow (and smell) in such short order are AMAZING!

With a high tech M-95 Covid face mask, a few (several) beers, lots of Ajax Cleanser and holding my breath...I ATTACKED!
View attachment 40440
End results were NO bullets fired (Although prepared) and a finally clean ice chest again after so many years of not being used!

Amazing enough, our very early 80’s Adler Barber unit worked perfectly again when turned back on after all these years!!
I remember that book! Someone gifted me a copy of it also!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a much-loved copy. I still recall that "vang" was the name of a German sea dog....
:)
And, "wharf" was the sound he makes when you feed him dry dog food!

Last edited:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
a favorite from my copy:
Flashlight - Tubular metal container used on shipboard for storing dead batteries prior to their disposal.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I knew that name rang a bell. I have a well worn copy of his previous book:
BoredOfTheRings.jpg

Well worth the laughs for anyone who loves or hates Tolkien.