• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

HURTH transmission troubles

hdlEric

Member III
I just purchased a 1987 E34, it seemed to shift hard from the begining; the neutral gate wasn't always definite, and the shifter travel in either gear didn't seem to have definite limit neither; ie, the only thing that stopped the travel was other parts of the pedestal being in the way. Friday a couple times, it didn't engage in forward, until I brought the rpms up a little from idle, while maneuvering in a marina. I disconnected the the shifter cable, and found that the shifter shaft on the transmission didn't stop rotating once it got into gear. I thought the lever (attached to the shaft on the trans) might be loose, but no such luck!! There is definitely to much travel, in either gear, in the shaft. Then it began to not shift into gear at the dock, especially reverse. Sometimes I could move the shifter lever in the cockpit to its extreme range, and it would shift after a few seconds. AAARRRGGHHHH!!! That doesn't seem good!!! Anybody have any similar symptoms and/or ideas? Thanks, Howard

fidji

Eric
transmission problem

Your tranny is gone
Sooner or later it wil not engage anymore
Solution install a new one a twin disk mg 340
Eric

hdlEric

Member III
trany is gone

Well, what I learned from a mechanic does not support that. He says that there is continuous movement of the shaft past the point of engagement; either in reverse or forward. What's more going from neutral into reverse or forward is a very short distance, and when adjusting the linkage, you cannot go past that, or the trans will not work properly. I have adjusted the shifting linkage, and at the dock it works great. Also, the difficulty with which the Ericsons shift is due to a very sharp bend they put in, at least some, of their boats. Another post, from about 10yrs back guided me to a solution for the stiff shifting. Thanks, but I think, and hope my trans is Ok, just needed adjustment.
Howard

fidji

Eric
tranny

I do that too and you just buying a bit more time before the final ending Your clutch is worn out, by allowing your shifter to travel further you just going to use what is remaining in your clutch, sorry but it is a matter of time
. During that time make some search to find the best price on the market for a new tranny and to learn how to change a transmission
After four tranny I don't beleive in paliatic treatment anymore
Good luck tell me if you beat my record time of 4 month by doing this
Honesly
Eric