• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I became really frustrated crawling down over and under pipes and wires into the narrow bilge >>>

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Getting stuck and having my son pull me out in reverse by my belt...sooo, I decided to spot mig weld the 1-3/4" nut and 2" stuffing box wrench's to 24" angle rod for stiffness, so I now have both very easy reach and great leverage for tightening and loosening for proper cooling drips. Makes it a pleasure to adjust from the first port lazarette step! Also have 3 loose plastic wire ties to slip on/off to hold together so as to not take much room in my dock box:

Attachments

• 12BF6727-D6FE-4DC3-91AE-D275BFCF349F.jpeg
    12BF6727-D6FE-4DC3-91AE-D275BFCF349F.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 34
  • A374A097-19A7-4A27-B583-FBE446D668EA.jpeg
    A374A097-19A7-4A27-B583-FBE446D668EA.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Solid work.

Kinda makes me want to go ahead and get a cheap welder from Harbor Freight to have around, in case the spirit moves me.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Solid work.

Kinda makes me want to go ahead and get a cheap welder from Harbor Freight to have around, in case the spirit moves me.
Tom, mine is a Hobart 140...Not expensive and had it many years and done dozens of small jobs. Simple to use 110 and there are several good videos specifically using the 140 initial set up and use. I use 75/25 Argon/Co2 from local welder supply or Tractor Supply. Very handy and never regretted the purchase.

The 24" 3/8" angle iron (Lowes, etc.) in my post above, came in 48"..welded both wrenches to the ends and cut in half. 24" makes a great cheater bar that was very difficult to loosen the nut with a short handle wrench. Make sure the bar welds are made on each wrench so as to not interfere with loosening nut from stuffing box with wrenches next to each other.

Byproduct...neighbors and friends always have little broken things that need fixing. Weld art is also fun. Make sure you have proper face shield and HD leather glove protection! In my original post, I stated port side, but should be starboard lazarett.
Larry

Last edited:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Nice solution!
I've been trying to loosen my stuffing box nuts for some time. I recently bought this pair of plumbers wrenches:
But, they're heavy, and I find it hard to adjust them just right AND hold both in place before applying a lot of force on the handles (don't want to round-over the brass nuts' flats).

Where did you get your wrenches, and what sizes are they?
- I need 1 3/4" and 2" wrenches
Did you make the little nick in the gap of one of those wrenches? (to better fit the nut?)

I just found this link on the weekend:
- I really hope these are the ticket
I'll make short breaker bars from tin-wall steel tube if necessary - squished in a vice at one end to fit over the wrench handle.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Nice solution!
I've been trying to loosen my stuffing box nuts for some time. I recently bought this pair of plumbers wrenches:
But, they're heavy, and I find it hard to adjust them just right AND hold both in place before applying a lot of force on the handles (don't want to round-over the brass nuts' flats).

Where did you get your wrenches, and what sizes are they?
- I need 1 3/4" and 2" wrenches
Did you make the little nick in the gap of one of those wrenches? (to better fit the nut?)

I just found this link on the weekend:
- I really hope these are the ticket
I'll make short breaker bars from tin-wall steel tube if necessary - squished in a vice at one end to fit over the wrench handle.
Yes Those are the wrenches; however, I got mine off Amazon (two days)...the nick was already in the wrench (actually I found these wrenches on this great forum) :

As mentioned above 3/8" or other size cheap hardware store angle iron may? be a better, less bendable (torque) breaker bar than a tube?
Sure makes a difficult job for me, very easy, saves a lot of bruises and sore parts all over!

Last edited:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Thanks!
- it'll interesting to see what OEM name is grayed-out in the product pic on the Catalina Direct site:

Even if I could do welding, I think I'd prefer some sort of removable breaker bars for easier storage. Also, I could make a couple different lengths of breaker bar to better fit around the various hoses, etc., depending on the orientation of the nuts. And, as I have two different-sized wrenches, I can also switch breaker bars between the identical handles of these wrenches if needed.
I'll be sure to report back.