• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I found cheap line, is it too good to be true?

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
So...I think I have found a good website for line. For example. at West Marine New England ropes 3/8th poly dbl braid. $1.49ft I found 3/8 poly etc for $0.45. a foot. Both have breaking strength of 4400#. Also 1/2 inch for $0.76 @7800# vs $1.99 at West Marine for1/2 inch New England Rope or 5/8 inch for $1.16 @12000# vs west marine New England 5/8 for $2.79

Here is the cordage link, the listings for the CWC products are about a quarter way down the page. https://www.westechrigging.com/rope---cordage.html It almost seems to good to be true... but before I buy... if someone knows any downside I would be grateful for your opinions

JSM

Member III
Haven't use anything from CWC but I have gotten great prices on line from cajunrope.com and valleyrope.com. Cajunrope.com sells Novabraid XLE, used it to make my halyards with no problems.
Everybody is cheaper than Westmarine !

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I’ve bought yachtbraid from valley rope and knotty girlz and it all looks the same as the stuff at WM. Which leads me to suspect that it all comes from the same supplier in China. The only difference seems to be that the discount places may not have quite the color selection, which can be an impediment if you are trying to establish a consistent color code on your boat.
On the other hand, the absolute cheapest way to go is a 600-foot roll of all one color, and you just use some other method to remember which line is which.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Note that "yacht braid" has totally become a commodity product in the last 30 years. Relatively stretchy and mostly OK for general use.
I have actually seen this product wear out pretty quickly in use -- jacket fuzzes and wears quickly.
The big names still make their own line AFAIF. They also have a wide range of of materials and specs. Read and heed their specs on working load.

Do your 'due diligence' and just remember that you *will* get what you pay for. Whenever a product, whether dacron line or breakfast cereal becomes a commodity, there will be real world differences, and while the cheapest may do just what we require, those differences are still there.

And also note that even the mighty West Marine has 40% off line sales regularly, and all you need to do is be on their mailing list, and... sometimes be a bit patient.

Aside, I have a sailing friend that spent decades in the tree trimming (climbing) industry, and they *never* go any cheaper than the actual spec and reliability reports. Same for mountain climbers.
Back to sailing.... That's another reason to ask some precise questions before you offer to be hoisted up the mast of a friend's boat in a chair. :(

Edit: http://www.manufacturing-today.com/index.php/featured-content/262-new-england-ropes
It would appear that New England ropes are indeed made in Mass.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For me, the line size, feel in the hand and coiling behavior are more important than breaking strength. I don't even care about stretch, except for halyards. Yes, prices vary wildly.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
For me, the line size, feel in the hand and coiling behavior are more important than breaking strength. I don't even care about stretch, except for halyards. Yes, prices vary wildly.
I will essay a useful length of CWC and if the hand etc is not nice I can repurpose it. Grazie Capitano. An aside....If you have not yet read the "Aeneid", in book five Aeneas holds a memorial for his father consisting of diverse games which includes a rowing race. Well worth the time.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
BTW: I bought a new climbing rope this week and it came labeled as "Maxim" (Formerly New England Ropes) brand. And a sticker that says "Same Great Product New Name." Maybe this is just rebranding their climbing ropes? IDK.

Slick470

Member III
Toddster, as far as I know Maxim and New England ropes are both owned by the same parent company (Teufelberger) and they just may be separating the brands a bit more to differentiate the market. Just looking at their corporate page, it looks like they sell to 19 or so different sectors each with a few sub-sectors. Not sure how many have different branding though.