• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I need a good source for a used but working outboard

hanareddy

Member II
I am down here in the Chesapeake with a poorly installed 30hp outboard and I'd like to replace it with a more manageable size. Cost is a factor, but so is getting a good working motor (so used before new). I am hoping someone has a good recommendation between Delaware and Annapolis. Craigslist has not been great so far. Thank you!

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Try to find a "Mom and Pop" outboard repair shop. We have a local one that's a good source for dependable used outboards as they service what they sell. Ask around.

gc_sailor

Rule of Thumb, Electric E34-2
I purchased it with a 10' dingy to use as a tender. Ended up going electric and am thinking of selling. It has very little use. I am located in Maryland.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
9.9 should do well. I had one on my E27 and never really needed to go past 1/2 throttle. My 9.9 Tohatsu (aka Mercury) had an electric start and an alternator. The two cylinders were great for motoring longer distances. It idled so smooth and quiet, a few times people would ask me if it was electric. Are you kidding? What a great dependable motor. I bought it new because getting stuck somewhere with motor problems isn't always cheep. And I am pretty good with working on motors.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The 8hp Yamaha on the dink for my 34 will push the 34 (13,000lb) up to almost 5 knots. A 2hp Honda pushes it to just over 3 knots in calm water. There is a big jump in outboard weight between 6hp and 8hp. The 8hp is a detuned 9.9. The benefits of the 9.9 aren't noticed until the top end of the power curve and I don't run my outboard that hard. The 8 turns the inflatable into a speed demon.

Really, the only reason for the 8 is to have a backup for the diesel should it fail for any reason. Murphy says it will fail at the worst possible time in the worst possible place eg. in the middle of a set of rapids. It gives peace of mind knowing there is a backup and I'm not at the mercy of the tide gods. Also, the dink becomes quite exciting with the 8 attached to it.

hanareddy

Member II
The 8hp Yamaha on the dink for my 34 will push the 34 (13,000lb) up to almost 5 knots. A 2hp Honda pushes it to just over 3 knots in calm water. There is a big jump in outboard weight between 6hp and 8hp. The 8hp is a detuned 9.9. The benefits of the 9.9 aren't noticed until the top end of the power curve and I don't run my outboard that hard. The 8 turns the inflatable into a speed demon.

Really, the only reason for the 8 is to have a backup for the diesel should it fail for any reason. Murphy says it will fail at the worst possible time in the worst possible place eg. in the middle of a set of rapids. It gives peace of mind knowing there is a backup and I'm not at the mercy of the tide gods. Also, the dink becomes quite exciting with the 8 attached to it.
This is useful. It makes me wonder if the 6hp that gc_sailor has will be enough to push my E29 out of my creek.

JLapp

I have the Yamaha 8HP high thrust model on my E27 and pushes me pretty close to hull speed, which validates the numbers I got from http://www.psychosnail.com/boatspeedcalculator.aspx

I use the Tohatsu 6hp Sail Model (xtra long shaft) on San Juan 21 and I never need to go above 1/2 throttle.

@supersailor I love that you've tested the 2hp Honda on the E34! I have one for the dingy, it's good to know it's been trialed on a much bigger boat than mine.