• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I need to locate a 1 3/8 stuffing box hose for my E27

pcb don

Member II
Here in the Florida panhandle my marine stores two suppliers don't carry a 1 3/8 stuffing box hose. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one?
Don

Ray Rhode

Member III
I checked the Spartan Marine Supply catalog and they only show a 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 hose ( http://spartanmarine.com/catalog.html ). You might contact them and see if they can get a 1 3/8. I bought one of their stuffing boxes and was very impressed with it and the hose that went with it.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

Lyle

Stuffing Box Material - NO LEAK -NO Water into bilge!

Have been using for several years fiber packing that seals the stuffing box so no water enters the boat! It is INTENDED to do just that! Claims were that it "outlasts other packings Virtually dripless"

GFO fiber packing
For questions and comments, or to place an order, please call:
800-455-2854

Professional shaft packing specified by the US Navy, used by commercial workboats and the US Coast Guard, and approved by the American Bureau of Shipping

Easy to install
Rarely needs adjustments
Solves leaking problems
Won't damage shafts
No more dirty bilges
Cool running

Caution: tighten the packing gland until snug. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN
After one to two hours of running time, check the box for leakage and make a final adjustment to attain minimum leakage. There should be virtually no leakage.

W. L. GORE & Associates, Inc
100 Airport Rd
Elkton, MD 21921

pcb don

Member II
Lyle,
Thanks, I'd heard of GFO but haven't searched for a number to call them, now I'll be calling them tomorrow. Spartan didn't have 1 3/8 hose, so the search for an alternative continues.
Don

Walter Pearson

Member III
If you do find a suitable hose, please provide the source on this site. A few years ago, I looked long and hard for true stuffing box hose in that size. I even contemplated building up the stern tube and installing a larger stuffing box to get to the next size, but never did go to that extreme. I tried several hoses and finally went with one with the maximum number of plies I could get in a hose that did not have the wire reinforcement. (With that short a hose, the wire type seemed to distort and become difficult to align and clamp.)

I also use the Gore packing which I hoped would keep any torque on that hose to a minimum with little chance of things seizing up. I find it works well without any dripping at all. Some have noted that dripping is needed, but I have not found that to be necessary.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
My Lasdrop shaft seal came with short sections of rubber hose of several thicknesses designed to fit around a shaft tube so that the bellows of the seal could be made in a small number of sizes but could fit around several sizes of shaft tube.

You might be able to work something similar if you can find thin-walled rubber tubing with an inner diameter of approximately 1 3/8"--or a little less, it's rubber, it stretches.

Are you sure you have 1 3/8" hose and not 1 1/2" that's been squeezed in place for years with hoseclamps?

pcb don

Member II
Loren, Vetus doesn't carry packing hoses. Spoke with one company who forwarded my request to another company, but their unable to manufacture it, (even if I could have afforded it).
Walter, if I do locate one I'll let you know although it seems unlikely at this point.
Tender, no, one doesn't measure the hose, but the fittings it goes over. Keep in mind mine is a 3/4" shaft. It's my understanding that Ericson used 3/4" shafts with Atomic 4's.
It looks like I'll have to use exhaust hose as many do. Thanks to all.
Don

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Yeah, my Ericson has a 3/4" shaft too (Atomic Four w/V-drive) so maybe my shaft tube is the same size as yours.

I think Walter's approach is pretty sound. I know you need to fit to the tube size, not the hose size, but are you sure the hose you had on there wasn't 1 1/2"?

The "tube sock" approach might help to avoid distorting the stuffing box hose too much. Perhaps Lasdrop would sell you some of their tubing?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hose size, plus or minus...

http://www.shaftseal.com/product_categories/300000001

Interesting how each size of stern tube bellows fits a (small) range of sizes.

Maybe the packing tube hose sizing isn't quite as precise as we might think.
:confused:

BTW, I have been using a PSS seal for well over a decade. It's a great product, and the company is very helpful to work with.

LB

e38sailorman

Member II
I agree with Loren, check out the PSS shaftseal used the product for over 20 years, never a problem

Marc
E38 Wavewalker
Gig Harbor Wa.

pcb don

Member II
Thanks to all. I've looked at the PSS but was hopeing to stay with the original system, so I'll probably use exhaust hose.
Don