Ice box drainage

hanareddy

Member I
Hi! Does anyone know where the ice box drains too? I have a '73 E 29 and need to clean this thing out. Unfortunately, the discharge seacock for the galley sink is stuck, so I won't try to open it. But, it looks like the ice box drains someplace else. Thank you!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi! Does anyone know where the ice box drains too? I have a '73 E 29 and need to clean this thing out. Unfortunately, the discharge seacock for the galley sink is stuck, so I won't try to open it. But, it looks like the ice box drains someplace else. Thank you!
I’m fairly confident your 29 is very similar to our ‘73 E-32 setup.

The drain hole at the bottom of your top loading ice locker/chest simply drains down directly to the bilge and not to any close by thru-hull valves.

(Probably because the ice chest bottom sits much lower and would be subject to outside foul water contamination rising up via the thru-hull when healed over.)

It’s difficult (or impossible) to reach from underneath as the ice locker was heavily foamed all around, including the bottom back then. You maybe able to feel a plastic drain hose leading towards the bilge - but wouldn’t bet on it.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I can't remember if the hose connection to the ice box is accessible, but the hose just hangs down into the bilge, under the ladder. I neatened mine up a bit by securing it with a weld-mount tie and put a PVC valve at the bottom to keep the cold air from draining into the bilge all the time.

Slick470

Member III
Grant, Check your Olson 911, the factory arrangement drains into the bilge too. I still need to change that on ours.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Blogs Author
Boats with refrigeration, an option, probably also have an inaccessible icebox drain. Should be plugged I am told otherwise cost in frig efficiency is high.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Member
I can't remember if the hose connection to the ice box is accessible, but the hose just hangs down into the bilge, under the ladder. I neatened mine up a bit by securing it with a weld-mount tie and put a PVC valve at the bottom to keep the cold air from draining into the bilge all the time.
Sounds similar to my E26-2. I don't have a refrigeration unit installed but just use ice. What I did is hook it up to a small ShurFlo electric pump and then ran the output of the pump to a small spout I made from some plumbing bits and mounted into the top portion of the sink.

frick

Member III
my 1971 e29 drains to the bilge.. so after a few weeks of use at the beach, I have to clean the bilge to remove the stick of what food particles washed down there.