• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ice box drainage

hanareddy

Member II
Hi! Does anyone know where the ice box drains too? I have a '73 E 29 and need to clean this thing out. Unfortunately, the discharge seacock for the galley sink is stuck, so I won't try to open it. But, it looks like the ice box drains someplace else. Thank you!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi! Does anyone know where the ice box drains too? I have a '73 E 29 and need to clean this thing out. Unfortunately, the discharge seacock for the galley sink is stuck, so I won't try to open it. But, it looks like the ice box drains someplace else. Thank you!

I’m fairly confident your 29 is very similar to our ‘73 E-32 setup.

The drain hole at the bottom of your top loading ice locker/chest simply drains down directly to the bilge and not to any close by thru-hull valves.

(Probably because the ice chest bottom sits much lower and would be subject to outside foul water contamination rising up via the thru-hull when healed over.)

It’s difficult (or impossible) to reach from underneath as the ice locker was heavily foamed all around, including the bottom back then. You maybe able to feel a plastic drain hose leading towards the bilge - but wouldn’t bet on it.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I can't remember if the hose connection to the ice box is accessible, but the hose just hangs down into the bilge, under the ladder. I neatened mine up a bit by securing it with a weld-mount tie and put a PVC valve at the bottom to keep the cold air from draining into the bilge all the time.

Slick470

Member III
Grant, Check your Olson 911, the factory arrangement drains into the bilge too. I still need to change that on ours.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Boats with refrigeration, an option, probably also have an inaccessible icebox drain. Should be plugged I am told otherwise cost in frig efficiency is high.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I can't remember if the hose connection to the ice box is accessible, but the hose just hangs down into the bilge, under the ladder. I neatened mine up a bit by securing it with a weld-mount tie and put a PVC valve at the bottom to keep the cold air from draining into the bilge all the time.
Sounds similar to my E26-2. I don't have a refrigeration unit installed but just use ice. What I did is hook it up to a small ShurFlo electric pump and then ran the output of the pump to a small spout I made from some plumbing bits and mounted into the top portion of the sink.

frick

Member III
my 1971 e29 drains to the bilge.. so after a few weeks of use at the beach, I have to clean the bilge to remove the stick of what food particles washed down there.

garryh

Member III
"I have to clean the bilge to remove the stick of what food particles washed down there. "
from my first boat 25 years ago, I could not believe what a dumb idea this was. Draining an icebox into a (mostly) inaccessible bilge area..? spilled milk/chicken guts/steak blood that just has to happen eventually....?! just a really dumb idea

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Icebox water was always a problem not easily solved. In wooden boats, the icebox drain was the first place the surveyor looked for dry rot (Fresh water).

Ericson has the solution in the '80's boats. Two foot pumps for the galley sink: one for drinking water, the other either salt or icebox water (selector valve).

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Icebox water was always a problem not easily solved. In wooden boats, the icebox drain was the first place the surveyor looked for dry rot (Fresh water).

Ericson has the solution in the '80's boats. Two foot pumps for the galley sink: one for drinking water, the other either salt or icebox water (selector valve).
That's interesting. I must have this configuration (82). I have two foot pedals for the galley sink. I am always using the left one (fresh water) because my water pump happens to not be working (project on the list to fix). The foot pedal on the right doesn't appear to do anything, so now I wonder if there is a "Y" valve below somewhere with the ice box drain selected (instead of salt water)

daynardi

Member II
On our '85 E32, the intake of the second foot pump has two branches. One goes to a seacock to get saltwater. The other goes to the icebox. A valve on the outlet of the icebox keeps it from flooding when the seacock is open. To empty the icebox, we close the seacock, open the icebox drain, and pump it out into the sink. After emptying the icebox, we immediately close the icebox drain so that we don't forget, then run seawater through the pump to flush out any food residue. We take care to keep the seacock closed when we aren't around.

Originally our boat had a perfectly useless shut-off valve on the gooseneck at the sink. I removed this, we now have a simple chrome gooseneck with no valve on it.

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
Just replace my cabin sole due to the ice box drain which was supposed to drain into the bilge had been plugged years ago and the water just drained onto the cabin sole under the icebox causing a large area of the cabin sole to dry rot.

olsenjohn

John Olsen
Blogs Author
My 1973 E25 icebox just drained into the bilge. The drain ran straight out the bottom under the sink and water just worked its way to the bilge. The icebox barely had any insulation around it and functioned more as an ice melting box whose function was to keep the bilge full of melted ice water. I did away with mine and bought a good quality cooler that mounts under the companionway steps. Works for me, but I only do short journeys, and do not need much icebox capacity.

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
my ice box originally had a hose coming from the bottom into a Y valve then a pump. I removed the valve and pump, the icebox hose now drains into the bilge.

Now i use the icebox for dry room temp food storage and ive added an Engle DC compressor fridge instead of a messy cooler.

‘75 E25 CB

Attachments

• EFDF17CB-23C2-4351-A72F-B0AA8C7219AA.jpeg
    EFDF17CB-23C2-4351-A72F-B0AA8C7219AA.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: