• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Icebox/Refrigeration on Ericson Yachts [Master Thread]

SpudE36RH

Member I
We ussually stay on our boat just for the weekends.
The orginal thermal fridge that came with the boat just doesn't work.
For years because we have just not wanted to pump out the cooler each weekend we have brought food on the boat and stored it in a 48 qt cooler on the starboard side.

It has come time that this to is getting old, What have other 38 owners done for refridgeration etc and how well does it work, we are concerned about putting refridgeration in the large icebox because things roll towards the back and are diffuicult to reach.

Thanks for the input
Jeff
1981 Ericson 38-Shalom
I just installed a conversion on our 36RH which really only had one spot for it.Iimagine you may have more choice in the 38?
We don't need to freeze things but have read at highest setting it will freeze.It runs so nice and quiet.On this boat the insulation around the ice box was 3".
Will put it to good use in a few days in the 80° heat or so. I have since re shaped glued the wood cut out to slide unit into place
Good luck.

Attachments

• 20220812_175921.jpg
    20220812_175921.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 14
I put a few layers of emergency reflective mylar blankets between ice in cooler and the interior walls, including the top, seems to DOUBLE the length of ice. And put a blanket over the cooler too. DOUBLE!!!! -- A

Jamiem

Member II
Just to add to the discussion in refrigeration. We built a day stern arch with 200 watts of solar panels, 2 days to vacation I decided to put a fridge on our e39. Bought an inverter, a Walmart bar fridge with separate freezer door, hooked it up to house battery and had cold beer for 3 weeks.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
See also related threads:

Touchrain

Member III
I cut a 1” piece of foam and skinned it in fiberglass to reduce the size of our big compartment. It can be removed easily to expand the space if needed. It increased efficiency remarkably since the area furthest back is very poorly insulated. We have the basic 12-volt AB system and probably use 30-40 AH per day. Easily covered by solar panels.

Jamiem

Member II
We added 2 100w solar panels and a bar fridge from Wal-Mart. The inverter has enough capacity for the fridge but make sure you have enough house battery capacity to get you through the night

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
Our E27 still has the original ice box. I'm contemplating a portable refrigerator/cooler unit (an efficient compressor-based unit, not a thermoelectric one) and creating an opening where it could 'drop into' the ice box cavity with the lid at the counter surface.

Screenshot_20230128-153714.png

I would add a 12v connection and openings in the ice box to help heat from the refrigerator dissipate.

Upsides include the ability to load it up with stuff at home and bring the entire unit to the boat, and being able to remove it and use elsewhere for road trips, etc.

Curious if anyone else has considered or done this.

jtsai

Member III
Our E27 still has the original ice box. I'm contemplating a portable refrigerator/cooler unit (an efficient compressor-based unit, not a thermoelectric one) and creating an opening where it could 'drop into' the ice box cavity with the lid at the counter surface.

I would add a 12v connection and openings in the ice box to help heat from the refrigerator dissipate.

Upsides include the ability to load it up with stuff at home and bring the entire unit to the boat, and being able to remove it and use elsewhere for road trips, etc.

Curious if anyone else has considered or done this.
I experimented with this approach thinking the compact size of the frig/freezer had to be more efficient as it "should" cycle less than the boat's frig/freezer with large unused space. After a weekend test, I was surprised that the power consumption was not much different. The portable unit cycled a lot often than I thought.

My conclusion is that the boat's frig/freezer is actually pretty efficient. So I installed a 200W solar system at a cost not much more than one of these portable frig/freezer units. The portable unit however is excellent for car trip to keep frozen items cold.

Last edited: