• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Identify this furler?

I need a little help identifying this jib furler.
It's on an Ericson 27 that I just bought.

Clearly, the lower bearings have popped out, and the drum has lifted off the bearing race, which is now rusted.
I might try to replace the race/bearings, if I can ID the furler and find parts for it...

Any advice here?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN4186-1.JPG
    DSCN4186-1.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,085
  • DSCN4187-1.JPG
    DSCN4187-1.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 856

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Looks like a Hyde Streamstay to me. If you try to service it, you will likely find everything seized together. I had a similar one(Streamstay II) on my '85 Ericson that was very unreliable and ended up being sawed off at the end of the season in favor of a Furlex.

treilley: thanks for the quick reply...

i looked up the Hyde Streamstay system, and it looks to have a solid round rod, as opposed to a hollow foil over the headstay.
that sound right?

the system on my boat has a teardrop section foil over the headstay...

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My Streamstay II had a hollow foil with 2 slots. The jib halyard ran up one of them and the sail up the other. The cast aluminum drum is what makes me think it is a Streamstay. Could also be a CDI Reefer as I believe they used a 1 piece cast aluminum drum like that.

Do you have any higher resolution photos? Any photos of the foil? Do you have a separate halyard(down the mast) or is it integrated in the foil?

Also, most of the info on Hyde Streamstays resides at Rigrite which can be very inaccurate. And they are no better in person.

Last edited:
Treilley,

good questions all...
the foil is teardrop shaped in x-section, hollow, with a single slot.
the halyard is separate, and shackles to the top pivot, which slides over the foil.

i can post higher-res photos later when i get home...
no photos of the foil, unfortunately...it's pretty simple, however. a single piece, i.e. not made of multiple sections...

jkm

Member III
Looks like a Mariner product to me, from the 70's.

They were made in Santa Monica, California. Company is long gone.

John

Got it identified as an old Hood system...
Looks like replacement is my best option, due to the lack of legacy parts.

Thanks!

Emerald

You might want to contact Hood directly and see if you can work out a trade-in. I had success doing this even though there wasn't an advertised program as such. I ended up with a great price on a Seafurl 5, which I have been quite pleased with. Here's a link to them if interested:

http://www.pompanette.com/hood