• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Identifying an Ericson

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Are there certain design elements that would allow easy identification of an Ericson? Looking at the vessel in the photo the windows, shape of cabin, hatches, cockpit, and general lines make me think it's an Ericson. This photo was taken from the Oakland Embarcadero near the Broziet Lokal, a gem of a German restaurant.20230528_193106.jpg

Attachments

• 20230528_191902.jpg
    20230528_191902.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 28

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wooden combings, trapezoidal windows, sheer stripe shape, and of course the wide transom... an Ericson 35-2. Often found on lists of the top ten best "modern classic cruiser/racers". :egrin:

paul culver

Member III
Wooden combings, trapezoidal windows, sheer stripe shape, and of course the wide transom... an Ericson 35-2. Often found on lists of the top ten best "modern classic cruiser/racers". :egrin:
Agreed. But the bow pulpit looks more angular than the gentler curves I see in my E29 and other E-yachts. Maybe they are not all the same.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Latest Ericsons are '80s boats, meaning traditional transom. They tend to have a shear line, because the designer liked that. Overhangs. Kenyon masts, tapered, unlike popular smokestack tubes of the era. In profile, low, with moderate topside height.

The first shot at distant identification is--is it ugly? Is it fat? A good score there narrows things down to half a dozen popular brands of the time.

Closer, the characteristic Ericson cove stripe becomes apparent.

Somebody can do better, I'm sure. It's not always easy to tell an Ericson at a distance, but the sail does have the Viking insignia.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I was in Oakland/Alameda this weekend. Took my date to Scott's Seafood by boat Sunday evening. Pretty special I am told! We had window seating overlooking the Olson and got to keep an eye on her as it is a public dock. Stayed overnight at Oakland Yacht Club. Nice club, nice members. Sailed back yesterday at 4:00pm in 15-20+ winds. Beam reached crossing the slot. Got back to Richmond in 2 exciting hours. Feeling pretty grateful sailing on SF Bay.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
I was in Oakland/Alameda this weekend. Took my date to Scott's Seafood by boat Sunday evening. Pretty special I am told! We had window seating overlooking the Olson and got to keep an eye on her as it is a public dock. Stayed overnight at Oakland Yacht Club. Nice club, nice members. Sailed back yesterday at 4:00pm in 15-20+ winds. Beam reached crossing the slot. Got back to Richmond in 2 exciting hours. Feeling pretty grateful sailing on SF Bay.
I have visited san francisco several times but this is the first time I saw it through the eyes of a sailor. That Bay, that Bay, there's a reason it's been painted so many times. On a partly sunny day the conditions, the mood of the bay, the landscapes, even the perceived sense of distance, change almost minute by minute. What a great place to sail.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I have visited san francisco several times but this is the first time I saw it through the eyes of a sailor. That Bay, that Bay, there's a reason it's been painted so many times. On a partly sunny day the conditions, the mood of the bay, the landscapes, even the perceived sense of distance, change almost minute by minute. What a great place to sail.
What you are saying is so correct. The conditions and scenery change so often that everyday is a different experiences. The view from Richmond can be so clear that the city looks but a few miles away. The next day, there is no city. Only a ribbon of fog and clouds.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Are there certain “design elements” that allow easy identification of an Ericson skipper?

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Even a beat up old Ericson is prettier than your average modern plastic Tylenol. We are like Mardi Gras Indian Chiefs.

William Wash

For me the giveaway is the two aft portlights, raked bow, and especially on smaller E's the wooden hatches. If you have those three, and it looks sexy you just have to confirm by walking up the dock and seeing the ERY on the hull number.

Are there certain design elements that would allow easy identification of an Ericson? Looking at the vessel in the photo the windows, shape of cabin, hatches, cockpit, and general lines make me think it's an Ericson. This photo was taken from the Oakland Embarcadero near the Broziet Lokal, a gem of a German restaurant.View attachment 47215
That is an Ericson 35-2. Built 1969 - 1981. The transom is the main identifier for this model, but also the port lights and their location relative to the standing rigging - and also the coamings, rubrail and cove stripe. I have hull 212, so I'm pretty well acquainted with this model. In general, though, Bruce King drew boats with strong traditional lines, but not overly "springy." To my eye, they are some of the prettiest production boats from that era. If I recall correctly, 500 of these were built over the 12 years of their production.

Chschaus

"Voila"
I agree with Joseph, that is a 35-2. We has a 77 35-2 before we traded in for the 35-3 with it's enlarged interior.