• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Idle rpm M25XP, 1,000 to 1,200

patrscoe

Member III
Within the last year, my idle speed appeared low and at times, attempted to stall under idle when in gear. My tach stated 650 RPM. I purchased a handheld photo RPM reader and re-adjusted the idle to 1,070 RPM. Additionally, my tach shows a similar reading of just shy of 1,100.
Per manual, it states to set the M25 between 1,000 to 1,200, and I have also read a similar thread where Mainsail stated the same.

Perhaps I am not use to it but it feels like it is high. It goes into gear fine.
I am thinking of adjusting it down below 1,000.

Anyone is familiar with the proper Idle RPM for a M25?

markvone

Sustaining Member
My pre-M25 Universal 5424 states 800 rpm at idle. I verified by photo tach at 800 which seems right. Doesn't want to stall. Higher seems, well higher. No reason to idle that high if it's not stalling.

Mark

patrscoe

Member III
Mark: I think you are right, 800 is what I was thinking, maybe 850. over 1070 does not feel right.
When I stated that it was 1000 to 1200 rpm stated in the manual, a person cut and copy the manual data on all universal engines including M25XP
I think I rely too much information on the internet forums and you never know what is right.
Thanks for your input.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
800. It should idle happily, and not complain when gear is engaged at idle. If otherwise, stuff to check on. Usually that's the tach, which we probably don't need anyhow and becomes a worry crutch. WOT should give hull speed (and rattle yer teeth) , 80 percent of that is cruising speed (or less, for noise), and idle is, well, chugging softly at the dock with water spitting out the exhaust. A tach just puts numbers on it.