• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ignition panel re-wiring initiation

windblown

Member III
Having immersed myself in this project this winter (which began with proposed installation of a wheel pilot, leading to untangling the DC panel wiring, which led to removal of the trailer plugs, which seemed to necessitate the Ignition panel re-wiring, leading to a panel re-build, replacement of the starter solenoid, and possible alternator shimming), it has occurred to me that this all may be Viking hazing—a kind of initiation for new skippers. The admiral recently observed, “there seem to be wires loose everywhere!” Ah, but when it is finished and working well, I will have an intimate connection with the electrical system in ways I never imagined. And the spools of marine wire in many sizes and colors in the basement are like acquired badges of honor, and newly acquired skills with crimping tools and heat gun are most satisfying.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Having immersed myself in this project this winter (which began with proposed installation of a wheel pilot, leading to untangling the DC panel wiring, which led to removal of the trailer plugs, which seemed to necessitate the Ignition panel re-wiring, leading to a panel re-build, replacement of the starter solenoid, and possible alternator shimming), it has occurred to me that this all may be Viking hazing—a kind of initiation for new skippers. The admiral recently observed, “there seem to be wires loose everywhere!” Ah, but when it is finished and working well, I will have an intimate connection with the electrical system in ways I never imagined. And the spools of marine wire in many sizes and colors in the basement are like acquired badges of honor, and newly acquired skills with crimping tools and heat gun are most satisfying.
I'm sure we 32-3'ers could reorganize our DC panels to a standard befitting a transparent panel cover, if only that darned battery selector were not part of that panel cover!! Plus, it makes it impossible to pivot that cover out using a nice piano hinge because of the inflexibility of the big cables. Virtually every other boat seems to have the selector mounted separately ... I occasionally wonder how difficult it would be to relocate the selector to another place, like the short wall that your right hand would drop down to if sitting in the nav seat ... then the thought passes.