• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Important "Captain" information

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I mounted mine just off to the side of the companion way ladder so I could sneak a peak at it when coming up from belowdecks....

saphira36

Member II
Interestingly enough our 14 year old daughter insists she doesn't know left from right but since we've started sailing she knows port and starboard just fine. We even end up using these terms when we're not on the boat when explaining things to her. Not really sure what to make of this.

Teranodon

Member III
Not strictly speaking correct. The port side is a fixed part of the boat, likewise starboard. The port winch is a certain winch, etc. Left or right depends on which way you are facing. No?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, the words... "port" is left and both have four letters. "Starboard" is right and both have... more letters.
navigation lighting: port = red (red wine).

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Short review of a related product: Davis Instruments sells a series of “quick reference cards” on various nautical / navigational topics. I once bought a couple of them. They’re heavy plastic stock that ought to stand up in all weather (quite similar to old NAUI dive tables that used to work before everybody had to have a wrist computer.) Crammed with little facts and rules, most of which you know but might not have used for a while. But they’re just too big. Made to fit in a three-ring binder but actually larger than 8.5 x 11. Never could find a home for them on board. Maybe if you have an enormous battleship helm area with its own bookshelf. But I hope that a person driving something like that doesn’t need quick-reference cards!
Maybe good stocking-stuffers for boating people? Except of course, they won’t fit in a stocking!

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Larboard for left should have remained. However on a dark and stormy night it might have been difficult to hear the difference between them.