• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

In a quandary on further use of original cockpit cushions >>>

1911tex

Sustaining Member
When I purchased my Ericson, these were stored in the PO's garage. They said they were original. They stink to high heaven....no outward appearance of mildew or mold (internal?)...trying to decide what to do with them; other than the unimaginable pungent odor, the vinyl is in great shape...suggestions?? Thinking about making templates, then dispose.....my Admiral said to get them out of the garage, PRONTO !

Attachments

• 6A000508-B6C5-4213-A7F3-E38CF36D2FF5.jpeg
    6A000508-B6C5-4213-A7F3-E38CF36D2FF5.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 5

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our boat came with some very-well-designed and sewn cockpit cushions. Vinyl - and similar appearance to yours.
When I got the zippers to work and removed the covers (and washed them, twice...) the interior foam was shot thru with black mold and went into a dumpster.
. I still have the covers stored away - we might someday install some new foam. Maybe.
(The few boats I have crewed on with cushions, over the years, have been somewhat treacherous to stand on or walk on.)

You might want to put in new foam and also clean up the covers. And, keep them, somehow, dry.

Bob Robertson

Member III
We had cushions made when the boat was new. We use them a lot when it's not raining. Ours came with zippers although we've never taken the foam out. We always store them below in the head when we're not using them.

I would think you could take out the foam and cut some new foam to fit. Then turn the vinyl inside out and soak them in some mildew stain remover and water for a while and then run them through the washing machine.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
My 30+ came with vinyl coated foam cushions which are pretty old but still work well. They are firm enough to step on without twisting an ankle and a little softer than sitting right on the FG. I need to repair a couple of snaps but other that that they seem pretty indestructible. I found the receipt in the PO files and they were made by a company in Texas called C Cushions. I looked on their site not too long a go, they are still in business and have a lot of boats in their on line quote page so if you find your model it will spit out an instant quote. I thought the pricing was still pretty reasonable for what you get. http://www.ccushions.com/marine.htm

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Ok fellas I unzipped.....and egad.....no description describable! Beyond replacing the foam or even the vinyl...!
Dave I looked up C Cushions and lo and behold...they are located where I grew up and spent my Sea Scout years in the Rockport, Corpus Christi area! Also, they have the exact cushion set for my Ericson...and probably everyone else's! And Dave you are right, very affordable considering what it would cost to re-build my cushions and they have optional accessories...plus I can save shipping next time I am down there visiting family!
Cannot thank you fellas enough.......best darn website ever!!!

Interesting...look at the C Cushions website...the cushions are infinitely better than zippered!

Last edited:

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
By the way I left them in place 90% of the time and just wipe them down when they get dirty. They seem impervious to weather but although they are snapped in if high winds (30 kts or more) are expected I throw them in the QB. I guess due to UV damage they may be better thrown below ?

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Ok fellas I unzipped.....and egad.....no description describable! Beyond replacing the foam or even the vinyl...!
Dave I looked up C Cushions and lo and behold...they are located where I grew up and spent my Sea Scout years in the Rockport, Corpus Christi area! Also, they have the exact cushion set for my Ericson...and probably everyone else's! And Dave you are right, very affordable considering what it would cost to re-build my cushions and they have optional accessories...plus I can save shipping next time I am down there visiting family!
Cannot thank you fellas enough.......best darn website ever!!!
Probably time to dispose of your science experiment ! I was surprised at the cost when I looked. I have white cushions and thought about getting another color but there are a few other higher priorities looming at the moment. Definitely in the cards though as for my boat the whole set is less than $1k.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
No! Barf...I threw the cushions in my pickup and hauled to the dumpster before my Admiral came home and took another whiff !