• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

In and around Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I can imagine that each ship creates a huge "wind shadow," and then when rounding one, perhaps funnel effects and gusts. There are at least 66 ship now and 500,000 containers await unloading! A half a million containers! Sheesh!

Also, as many as 20 of the ships are in the "drift area." OMG, how long can a weary crew stay alert on those boring ships? Do they have to regularly adjust for drift? It sounds like it. And I'm trying to picture the whole fleet if the wind should change.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I'll be heading over to Catalina the week after next, so I'll be sailing past all this. These ships will be anchored to the east of the L.A. Light, so I don't think they will pose any practical problem for me. I've not been sailing since early July due to my recovery from a foot surgery, so I've not been out there since things really got clogged up. (In early July there were something like 20 ships and I thought that was pretty incredible.) It will be interesting to see what it looks like now.

MMLOGAN

Member III
Alan - we went to the Isthmus over the weekend. You are correct, all of the anchored container ships are east of LA light. What caught my attention was drift ship that was just west of the approach to Cherry cove. There are at least 4 out there with 1 close to the island.

Be careful!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Alan - we went to the Isthmus over the weekend. You are correct, all of the anchored container ships are east of LA light. What caught my attention was drift ship that was just west of the approach to Cherry cove. There are at least 4 out there with 1 close to the island.

Be careful!
Thanks for the heads up, Matt. I'll be doing the crossing in daylight hours, so I don't anticipate any issues. I did notice some large ships not too far off the Isthmus when I was looking at the web cam a few days ago and wondered if it might be some large ships just cooling their heels out in the channel. (Just now checked the cam and didn't see anything.)

So you were there for Buccaneer Days, then? Hope you had a great time. As for me, I always mark those dates on my calendar with a note NOT to be there! ;) I guess I'm just not much of a party person (to greatly understate the matter). I love it over there in the spring, by the way, when the place is nearly empty.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
When returning to Long Beach from Catalina this past September we hit a fog bank that extended 3 miles offshore. We slowed to a crawl as visibility went to zero and I suddenly wished I had radar. More terrifying than the anchored container ships were the ones underway coming out of the port. After an hour of being scared s***less it finally lifted enough to make it back to the barn without incident.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
When returning to Long Beach from Catalina this past September we hit a fog bank that extended 3 miles offshore. We slowed to a crawl as visibility went to zero and I suddenly wished I had radar. More terrifying than the anchored container ships were the ones underway coming out of the port. After an hour of being scared s***less it finally lifted enough to make it back to the barn without incident.
I hear you, brother! In January of 2020 I did a trip home from the Isthmus and got caught in a really bad fog bank that I hadn't seen forecasted. I also don't have radar. I had GPS, of course, so I knew I'd find the L.A. Light, but crossing the shipping lanes was very unnerving. Right after that I swapped out my previous VHF radio with one that has an AIS receiver so I can track the large commercial shipping. Yes, I know this is not foolproof and that having radar in addition to this would be better. But I do think this is much better than nothing, especially for L.A. and Long Beach harbors, with all of the large commercial shipping.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Roxanne my e27 is birthed deep in LA harbor. You get good at gauging the speed and slide of the leviathans moving in and out of the port. The most important thing to master is steering to compensate for the massive currents produced by the tugboats. You have to watch the water to see the lines of the current and as soon as your bow hits it you have to turn at a 45° angle into the current and slide sideways through it until you see the slack water on the other side and then you can straighten out. If you don't do this your vessel will start moving sideways in the current and once you get moving it takes a bit to recover from, if you're in a tight place you might not recover. I learned how to do this rowing a gondola in Venice Italy when a vaporetto nearly sent me spinning in circles on the Grand Canal. My overall game plan in the port is knowing where the Giants are coming from and getting out of the way before they even know I'm there.

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I like it, it puts a little of excitement into what would otherwise be a 5 hour (in my case) boring line to Catalina.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Meanwhile here on the east coast, the Chesapeake Bay to be precise, us sailors deal with large anchored commercial shipping all the time. The area around Annapolis, about 5 x 10 nautical miles, is the anchorage for commercial shipping waiting to go into Baltimore. Sometimes there can be as many as 8 to 10 big ships at anchor that a sailor needs to avoid. Plus one of those anchored ships might start moving or another ship will approach the area from the north or south. To add to all that, there are frequent tugs pulling or pushing barges through the channel. All in all it can be a very busy place sometimes with the occasional large ship blowing it's horn to warn sailboats crossing it's path. Just another "normal day" on the bay.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd just bump this one....

I sailed over to Catalina on Sunday and am enjoying myself in sunny Avalon, taking advantage of the "pay two, get five free" mooring rates. (Since I need to get back on Saturday it's only "get four free" for me, but it's still a deal.)

Anyway, I wanted to give you all an update on the amazing situation with the container ships at anchor outside the harbor. It is truly stunning and, to the best of my knowledge, unprecedented.

Leaving L.A. Light, there were countless container ships to the east of me (to port) as far as the eye could see. What's also interesting is that it is so congested, even taking into account the outside anchorages, that vessels are being told to drift outside of the TSS (traffic separation scheme) area until space opens up for them at anchor. So last night as I was monitoring the VHF, I heard Vessel Traffic instructing one container ship simply to drift at least 2 miles CPA from the TSS until there is a place for them. This explains some of the ships I was seeing in what would typically be odd places.

I had breakfast this morning with my good friend (and former student) Ron, who is one of the supervisors at the Avalon Harbor Dept. He told me he was recently "overtown" (what the locals here call the mainland) receiving some training at the Marine Exchange building in San Pedro for some other matter. While there, he got a tour of the control room with its huge monitors, from which they monitor all of the vessel traffic up and down the coast. This shows all the AIS targets as well as whatever their sophisticated radar picks up. (The Marine Exchange building is now located at one of the high spots above Pt. Fermin, above the Korean Bell, for any who are interested.) He said the number of targets clogging the screen was incredible. He also said that he learned something new, and that is that there is actually an area designated off the west end of Catalina as an overflow anchorage for when the others fill up in San Pedro! But since this has not happened before, so far as I know, it's not something that has ever become an issue. Now, however, Vessel Traffic has been assigning some vessels to that area. Ron said, though, that the ship captains hate actually anchoring there because it's utterly exposed, so they are opting to drift instead, maintaining just enough way on for steerage. Ron said that when you look at the AIS info, you'll see a number of vessels just off the Island traveling at half a knot or whatever. I can confirm this also, as I noticed a few such containerships when I was about 5 miles off of Avalon. One was a Maersk ship that was doing 0.6 kts. I wondered what the story was with that, and suspected something along these lines. Now I know. (I should mention that this is also consistent with Matt's post earlier.)

Really wild stuff! It had no practical effect on my trip, though, because all of the ships right outside the L.A. Harbor were east of the L.A. Light, and none of the ships that were adrift were in my way, either. But it's definitely good to keep an eye on things.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I can confirm the drifting. Our last trip over we saw a huge fully loaded container ship drifting off the west end as we headed in to isthmus.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Thanks for the updates! Add this info to the likelihood that one of these shipped dragged anchor across the pipeline and caused the oil spill off Huntington Beach and that the supply chain for the USA is now hugely impacted and we see the big mess it truly is!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Note that a whopping 40% of all shipping cargo which enters the U.S. comes through the combined ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach!!!

Cowabunga, dude, as the surfers said back in my day.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Looking at the marine traffic site shows it's even worse. They are drifting West of Catalina, too!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Update:

Still at Catalina. I've got the VHF on and just heard VTS tell a ship that is currently drifting that there are 52 ships ahead of them waiting to find a spot at anchor. That's not a spot at the terminal, mind you, but just at anchor! So if I interpret that correctly, it sounds as though all of the spots at the terminal are full, all of the spots for overflow anchoring are full, and there are 52 ships just cooling their heels somewhere in the San Pedro channel.

That's insane.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Update:

Still at Catalina. I've got the VHF on and just heard VTS tell a ship that is currently drifting that there are 52 ships ahead of them waiting to find a spot at anchor. That's not a spot at the terminal, mind you, but just at anchor! So if I interpret that correctly, it sounds as though all of the spots at the terminal are full, all of the spots for overflow anchoring are full, and there are 52 ships just cooling their heels somewhere in the San Pedro channel.

That's insane.
You know, the idea of 52 ships out here drifting in addition to the ones at anchor just sounds hard to believe. I'm wondering if I somehow misheard the VTS operator. I'll keep monitoring the VHF and see if I hear anything else about this. If I do, I'll either correct that number if I'm wrong or confirm it. But if that is number is correct, then WOW!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
You know, the idea of 52 ships out here drifting in addition to the ones at anchor just sounds hard to believe. I'm wondering if I somehow misheard the VTS operator. I'll keep monitoring the VHF and see if I hear anything else about this. If I do, I'll either correct that number if I'm wrong or confirm it. But if that is number is correct, then WOW!
Looking at the marinetraffic.com , it is very believable. They are lined up in Catalina channel and at least 30 ships are drifting west of Catalina! All the way to off shore of Malibu, It is a parking lot, but the ships are in constant motion.

This is a slow motion crisis unfolding in plain view.There is a disaster brewing, I fear. How long can those crews stay vigilant? Some of them have been at sea so long they left before vaccinations were available. Therefore, they may not enter the US. There is a little bit of weather brewing for Monday, too. Not bad mind you, but those monster ships have a lot of windage!