• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Inflatable problems

John Yandow

Member I
Hi,
Last fall I purchased a used Zodiac for a reasonable price, $250.00, it is a black, 1987 model. The P.O. said it did not leak and it looked in great shape for its age. I noticed last fall that it was loosing air, in my garage, I never floated it. I thought at the time it might be due to the temp. chance from day to night. Well, getting it ready for use this spring, I noticed the same thing, so decided to do some leak testing. What a surprise....I must have 30, count them, 30 small pin holes all over the top surface, no other leaks. So, my question is, how do I repair it? I think 30 patches are a bit much, any suggestions? :confused:

Thanks

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Mine Leaks Too...

When I bought my boat, the Zodiac was one of the features the PO used to push the sale - and like your's it leaks (it's in a friend's garage, rolled up). I have yet to unroll it, inflate it, and try to locate the leaks -

If the 30 pinholes are all in the open (or few are around mounting points, etc.) would it not be possible to just put a two huge patches on either side - cut to shape - so they look like they're supposed to be there to prevent wear or something?

Anyhow - your message and other discussions have just convinced me to replace my Zodiac with a Walker Bay 10....

Let me know what you decide to do -

//sse

Ray Rhode

Member III
Before you give up on the Zodiac I would try any of the patching kits on the market. If they are only pin hole size leaks you may get by without a patch and just seal the hole with the adhesive. If you can figure a way to work the adhesive into the hole so that it forms a plug on the inside in addition to the outside I think you may be able to save it. The Walker Bay is a nice package, but it does not have the stability or capacity of a good inflatable.

John Yandow

Member I
Hi,
I've been searching the web for information on the problem. I found a few sites with good information. Most suggest if the holes are smaller then 1/8" or pinholes, you should use just the adhesive, like you suggest Ray. There are also products like top cover that will fix the pinholes, and one that you pour into the chambers and swish around to seal the holes. Not sue if I want to go that route at this point...I will keep you all informed.

Thanks