• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Installing aft cabin port holes on a 1986 38'-200

FrankZ

Member I
Hello all,

That aft cabin can get pretty hot down here in the Caribbean. I've seen Ericsons that have dual port holes in the cockpit side of the cabin. Has anyone install port holes on the hull-side of the aft cabin on a boat approximately like a 38-200? Or can you refer me to articles that might shed some light on this. I've done a search of the site and not come up with much.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Frank Z.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I added a port back there.
Our boat came with a standard single opening port at the end of the aft cabin, i.e. on the rear face of the seat where the cockpit T's out for the wheel. I should note that there is also a factory opening port on the cabinside in that compartment, above the hanging locker.
I added another Lewmar port on the face of the seat, i.e. facing in to the footwell. It really helps with light and ventilation for the aft cabin.
I did go through some head scritching trying to figure how far down from the edge of the seat for the top so that the interior port trim plastic would be clear of the vinyl welting along the top on the inside.
After much diagraming inside and out, and mutiple pencil marks, I drilled a tiny hole with my smallest bit from the outside to see where the top of the port would be on the inside... Sure enough it was a half inch too high on the inside. Filled that hole with matching gelcoat...
:rolleyes:
With my drilled reference point, went ahead and redrew the cut-out and saber-sawed out the opening. Turns out there is a plywood wood backer glassed to the inside of the foot well seat face, and then the standard Ericson tan vinyl over that to trim out the inside. It came out "just like factory", if I do say so.
:)
FWIW, I have even seen an Olson 34 with two extra ports in the front of the footwell seat -- perhaps a factory option?

Good luck,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Me Too...

Just like Loren we too added a second opening port to the aft cabin of our 1989 E-38 inside the cockpit. Scared the hell out of me. I mean, I've drilled holes in the boat before, but this was huge!

And just like Loren I also agonized over exactly how high to put the opening. In the end I just eyeballed it based on another Ericson I had seen with three opening ports, and I just barely got the opening low enough to allow the clearance needed for the ring surrounding the port on the inside to fit on the top inside edge. So watch out that you don't position the hole too high. As for the other measurement, I decided to place the new port far enough forward to allow for a third port if we should ever need it (three opening ports were available as a factory option I believe).

The other thing I did was practice about three times on plywood, tracing the outline of the new port and cutting it out to be sure I didn't make it any larger than I needed it to be.

BUT if I read your post correctly, what Loren and we did is not what you are interested in. You want to add opening ports on the outside hull surface, right?

In that case I would say that no, I have not seen that done. I would worry that the port would be under water too much of the time, but that at least should be easy to check. Just figure roughly where the new port could fit, realizing that you need a mostly flat surface, and down low enough for there to be clearance to open the port on the inside, and try taping an outline of the port on the outside of the hull. Then go for a hard sail. If that part is under water when heeled hard on starboard tack, I would not think the port would remain water tight for long. But if it does stay high and dry, I don't see why you couldn't do it. In that case my biggest worry would be whether the hull surface matched the port well enough, that is didn't have too much curvature for the caulk to fill the gaps. I would not think that having a port there would be a structural issue.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hull ports and speed-reading the post

Steve's right (and not the first time, either!). I missed the "outside hull" part of the original post. Big dummy me! :oops:

If you look at the production boats with hull-side ports, note that very very few are of the opening type. (More light allowed in, yes; more air and water, no.) Also, the builder often includes a recessed flange in the hull mold so the the port frame is not proud along the hull side. I surmise that having the edge of a dock or another boat scrape along and tear off the frame or port is a real concern...:eek:

Since, presuming you are rail-down sometimes, and several feet of water surges along the side deck... this would put that port under at least four feet of surging water. I honestly doubt that any of my standard Lewmar opening ports would keep out that kind of water. No slur on their product -- it's just outside the design specs. On the port I added, it originally leaked when tested with a hose stream and also flunked the can-you-slide-a-business-card-through-the-closed-gasket-and-lens test. I had to veeerrrrry carefully adjust the little aluminum fingers that the latches rotated into when securing.

Best,
Loren
Olson 34 #8
Portland, OR

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hull side or outboard side?

Our 38-200 came with the opening port above the hanging locker in the aft berth... But FWIW, I wouldn't ever put an opening port down below the deck line. I can send you pictures of the position of the one above the hanging locker if you want. Let me know.
Chris

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
My 89' E 38 has 2 opening ports in the cockpit side of the aft cabin and a third facing aft. All 3 open and provide good venitlation especially when the upper one which opens through the cabinside is open. These all apear factory. It is also a good place for my 2 year old to reach out and pull off my the hairs on my leg. :eek:

FrankZ

Member I
Thanks to all. You're right, I did say hull, but I meant above the hanging locker or in the cockpit area. I have a non-opening portlight above the locker, none in the cockpit. The light above the locker is 28 x 8, larger than any opening port light I can find to replace with. Any ideas where I can get a port light that large?

And I would very much appreciate any digital shots any of you could send for the installations you've either got from a factory install, or of the port lights you added. You can respond here or email to my gmail account if easier at frankjz@gmail.com.

As always, thanks a bunch.

fz

FrankZ

Member I
Side and Cockpit port lights

Chris Miller said:
Our 38-200 came with the opening port above the hanging locker in the aft berth... But FWIW, I wouldn't ever put an opening port down below the deck line. I can send you pictures of the position of the one above the hanging locker if you want. Let me know.
Chris

My error, I meant above the hanging locker. Do you have any pictures of these aft cabin lights, or measurements?

fz

FrankZ

Member I
38 Ericson port lights

ted_reshetiloff said:
My 89' E 38 has 2 opening ports in the cockpit side of the aft cabin and a third facing aft. All 3 open and provide good venitlation especially when the upper one which opens through the cabinside is open. These all apear factory. It is also a good place for my 2 year old to reach out and pull off my the hairs on my leg. :eek:

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pictures or measurements of these port lights? You can send them to frankjz@gmail.com if that's easier for you.

Thanks much!

fz

FrankZ

Member I
port lights on 38' Ericson, 1986

Sorry, my error. I meant outboard side, above the hanging locker and in the cockpit area. There is a non-opening light there now, 28" x 8", which I would replace but can't find one large enough. Then, I'd also like to put one or two more in the cockpit area you're referring to. Do you have any measurements or photos of your install?

Thanks!

fz

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hi Frank,
Just checked the picture file for the boat... I don't have any of the pictures from the aft cabin. But I'll be glad to take some the next time I go down. I can grab a couple of measurements for you as well, if I remember. That portlight above the hanging locker is much bigger than the opening variety that we have. We also have the three that open into the cockpit- excellent area for skinny headed dogs (greyhounds) to peek out of. One sleeps back there while we're underway and occaisionally peeks out to see what's going on.
Chris

Attachments

• Rider on the foredeck.jpg
    Rider on the foredeck.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 200

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The port above my hanging locker is and opening type. The fixed port is above the stove on my 38. I will try and get some pics this weekend.

stbdtack

Member III
aft cabin ports...

Hey Steve, Ted and Chris,

I would like to see pics of your aft cabin/ cockpit footwell ports. I have the one facing aft. When the instruments were relocated to the pedestal, I covered the patched hole with a new veneer and installed an opening port. Its great for light and ventilation but I would like a bit more. Two more ports might fit in the cockpit footwell area?? It would be great to see your installations. I'm also concerned about the outside profile. The port I installed is pretty much flush outside, I would need to put in ports that wont be ankle bangers.... If you guys have any pics to share I would appreciate the chance to see how yours fit.:)

Attachments

• aftcabin.jpg
    aftcabin.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 149
  • aftport.jpg
    aftport.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 155

FrankZ

Member I
Thanks, any time you get the chance.

Chris Miller said:
Hi Frank,
Just checked the picture file for the boat... I don't have any of the pictures from the aft cabin. But I'll be glad to take some the next time I go down. I can grab a couple of measurements for you as well, if I remember. That portlight above the hanging locker is much bigger than the opening variety that we have. We also have the three that open into the cockpit- excellent area for skinny headed dogs (greyhounds) to peek out of. One sleeps back there while we're underway and occaisionally peeks out to see what's going on.
Chris

Much appreciated. Frank Z.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Opening port...

Here's a shot of the opening port in the aft cabin. Please don't mind the headliner being loose- I was installing a rope clutch on the coach top and some particular boat manufacturer didn't put a zipper in that tiny little section of liner. :headb: :soapbox: :mad: I must say, though... that's one of the only spots that is hard to get to on the whole boat.
Let me know if you need other angles or anything.
Chris

Ps. The water issues have been eliminated by a thin film of silicone over the expansion gaskets on the outside of the port :D

Attachments

• Aft Cabin Port.JPG
    Aft Cabin Port.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 149

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Dorade fitting in deck?

My early 38 has what appears to be a dorade fitting in the deck, along the rail, that opens down into the aft portside berth. I would imagine you would install a scoop only in port or at anchor, otherwise water leakage/gushing would be a problem with all that rail down sailing we do.

I have never unscrewed it for fear of introducing another way for our liquid sunshine to enter the boat.

stbdtack

Member III
Toe rail vent

Craig ,
I have sealed my deck plate threads with 5200 for the same reasons you stated.
There is a drain box installed beneath it and a ball valve that you are supposed to close while sailing. Way too much to remember. I never plan on using it for ventilation. Too bad Ericson didnt spend the money on opening ports in the aft cabin instead.

FrankZ

Member I
Great shot Chris. I notice you're still using a fan back there. I've got one, too. After all the advice, I think I'll add just one port hole basically where you did. That will give me two total in the aft cabin and perhaps increase the fan size. Thanks again.

fz