• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Installing centrifugal bilge pump on E26

johnkay

Does anyone have experience installing a secondary centrifugal bilge pump on a mid 1980s E26? I'm considering installing on to pump out water that collects below the TAFG.

I'm debating where to run the bilge hose. One option would be a second thru hull on the transform. Another would be to add a T junction and a back flow value and connect it to the existing bilge hose and thru hull for my manual bilge pump.

Any advice from anyone who has installed a secondary pump would be much appreciated.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There is precedent: Some Ericson models used a "T" at the through-hull to combine shower and main bilge hoses.

johnkay

Thanks Christian. The other thing I'm trying to figure out is the best way to run the secondary hose. On my E26, the hose from the gusher runs under the engine stringers and exists aft of the diesel tank. I don't see any obvious way to run second line.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Glad to see another E26-2, here! Can you send some pictures of what your bilge compartments look like? Mine has the holes between compartments for the 1 1/2" hose (for manual pump) and a hole 3/4" line I use for the automatic pump. They both had PVC running through leading me to believe both were from the factory.

As for discharge, it's been done both ways. I have two separate outputs, but I'm pretty sure Randall used a t-setup on his. He also did some TAFG modification so he could pump out he area under molded compartments, similar to your thought. Many others like the "turkey baster" or "massive syringe" approach for getting water out from under the TAFG.

johnkay

Glad to see another E26-2, here! Can you send some pictures of what your bilge compartments look like? Mine has the holes between compartments for the 1 1/2" hose (for manual pump) and a hole 3/4" line I use for the automatic pump. They both had PVC running through leading me to believe both were from the factory.

As for discharge, it's been done both ways. I have two separate outputs, but I'm pretty sure Randall used a t-setup on his. He also did some TAFG modification so he could pump out he area under molded compartments, similar to your thought. Many others like the "turkey baster" or "massive syringe" approach for getting water out from under the TAFG.
KS Dave, my bilge configuration is the same as in the attached pictures and also sounds to be the same as yours. I have the 3/4" holes but I'm not sure where they exit. The main bilge hose runs under the engine stringers and the diesel tank.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 03, 11 25 23 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 03, 11 25 23 AM.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 12

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looking at the picture, I wonder if this isn't the standard TAFG issue ("pump out water that collects under the TAFG")

The conduits between sections, for hoses, may have been sealed by the factory to try to keep water from entering the voids of the grid, but by now they're often loose. Water gets into the grid and declines to come out. I am not sure another bilge pump would help.

We all share this TAFG problem. The alternatives seem to be to try to seal the TAFG so water can't get into it, which is hard to do. Or to drill more drainage holes so that water can flow into and also out of the grid compartments, and get pumped out by the main bilge pumps.

Some models, esp. those with deeper bilges, came with drain plugs for the TAFG.

To fully drain my TAFG, as perhaps after an oil spill, I use a hand pump.

1-TAGF drain 1.JPG

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
KS Dave, my bilge configuration is the same as in the attached pictures and also sounds to be the same as yours. I have the 3/4" holes but I'm not sure where they exit. The main bilge hose runs under the engine stringers and the diesel tank.
Ahh, that's @Alan Gomes' sole. :)

Your main bilge hose runs under the diesel tank? Interesting. My main bilge hose takes a hard turn before the engine and goes under the battery compartment before running aft running under the quarter berth. My old rotted 1 1/2" hose is pinned between the two sections, so will probably stay there perpetually (had to run new ones). Pictures here.

Because that was all done before the two halves were put together and the space is so tight, it's hard to get back in there with my big meat paws for hands. I chose to drill a larger hole in the sole just forward of the engine compartment and then run the bilge hoses into the same space under the quarter-berth and out the rear. Not a beautiful solution, but with the stairs in place, you don't see it.

NewBilgeAccess.jpg

johnkay

Looking at the picture, I wonder if this isn't the standard TAFG issue ("pump out water that collects under the TAFG")

The conduits between sections, for hoses, may have been sealed by the factory to try to keep water from entering the voids of the grid, but by now they're often loose. Water gets into the grid and declines to come out. I am not sure another bilge pump would help.

We all share this TAFG problem. The alternatives seem to be to try to seal the TAFG so water can't get into it, which is hard to do. Or to drill more drainage holes so that water can flow into and also out of the grid compartments, and get pumped out by the main bilge pumps.

Some models, esp. those with deeper bilges, came with drain plugs for the TAFG.

To fully drain my TAFG, as perhaps after an oil spill, I use a hand pump.

View attachment 47133
Part of the problem I'm trying to solve is that, after motoring for 3-4 hours, the area under the TAFG will collect a half-gallon or more of water. So it's an inevitable requirement to hand pump after docking or anchoring. A local shipwright suggested cutting a hole in the middle bilge pump and dropping a small centrifugal pump in there to collect the water under the TAFG. I've seeing trying to figure out where the water is entering when I'm motoring. My best guess is the PSS, although I rebuilt it last year. I'm getting the sense the hand pump option might be the best way to go.

johnkay

Ahh, that's @Alan Gomes' sole. :)

Your main bilge hose runs under the diesel tank? Interesting. My main bilge hose takes a hard turn before the engine and goes under the battery compartment before running aft running under the quarter berth. My old rotted 1 1/2" hose is pinned between the two sections, so will probably stay there perpetually (had to run new ones). Pictures here.

Because that was all done before the two halves were put together and the space is so tight, it's hard to get back in there with my big meat paws for hands. I chose to drill a larger hole in the sole just forward of the engine compartment and then run the bilge hoses into the same space under the quarter-berth and out the rear. Not a beautiful solution, but with the stairs in place, you don't see it.

View attachment 47134
Yes! I used the picture from Alan's boat as I don't have a complete set of pictures at hand. The hose configuration on mine is odd; it takes a hard turn after the diesel tank. The hose also seems to be attached somewhere along the way. I found out when I removed the end that attaches to the diaphragm pump. The pump head on the gusher was poorly installed (slants on an upward angle), and I wanted to re-install it. Couldn't get the damn hose to move (sigh).

I hadn't thought about running a second hose under the battery compartment but that would be a lot easier to manage than trying to push hose under the engine stringer in the hope that it would exit somewhere.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Members have found that the factory used cable ties to secure the hoses in inaccessible places. Ugh. Complicates replacement of hoses.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Yes! I used the picture from Alan's boat as I don't have a complete set of pictures at hand. The hose configuration on mine is odd; it takes a hard turn after the diesel tank. The hose also seems to be attached somewhere along the way. I found out when I removed the end that attaches to the diaphragm pump. The pump head on the gusher was poorly installed (slants on an upward angle), and I wanted to re-install it. Couldn't get the damn hose to move (sigh).
Here's what mine looked as originally installed. The orientation has you pumping sideways (fore to aft) to use it. I'm guessing mostly to help with hose orientation I'll probably reinstall the same way as I think changing it might be a huge hassle and might not work as well.
GusherInsideHatch.jpg

I hadn't thought about running a second hose under the battery compartment but that would be a lot easier to manage than trying to push hose under the engine stringer in the hope that it would exit somewhere.
Yes, I found it to be an easier way. There's already one access panel partway down the quarter berth in my boat (that I intend to enlarge). I'm likely to add another to make it easier as my arms aren't four feet long, each. You'll also have to drill another hole before the transom to get the hose back out of that space (mind the angles!).

Members have found that the factory used cable ties to secure the hoses in inaccessible places. Ugh. Complicates replacement of hoses.
Yes, this is a reality, too. :( I hate the thought of leaving those in there abandoned, however.

UnderQuarterBerthAft.jpg