• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Installing New Transmission

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Video link, he purchased it from Harbor Marine in Everett, WA for a little more than $1k delivered.

brianb00

O - 34
Hello All, great thread. I have an 1989 Olson 34 and am in the process of replacing the damper plate between tranny and flywheel. I have a couple of questions that the videos and threads here don't quite answer. Hoping to get assistance from the group. 1. It appears on the MX25XP install in the Olson that to get to the damper plate the bell housing needs removal, is this correct ? I don't see a adapter plate that holds the transmission as is used on other engines. 2. If the bell housing needs removal should I attempt it in place ? Or move the engine into the cabin, thus not having to attempt sliding the prop shaft aft and mess with the PSS.
My plan is to replace it with the OEM damper plate a it has lasted a very long time. Thanks to Loren Beach for all his great photos and advice.
Brian s/v Redsky, SF Bay.

JSM

Member III
Getting ready to replace the trans and damper plate on my M25xp in our E34-2 as soon as the Chicago weather breaks. The bell housing must come off of the engine as the damper plate is mounted on the flywheel. There is no adapter plate holding the trans on as the trans is bolted to the bell housing from the inside of the housing.
From what I have seen (at least on the E34-2) the engine needs to be slid forward or lifted up so that you have room to remove the bell housing.
My plan is to lift the engine off of the motor mounts with a chain hoist and go from there.
As far as the damper plate, the trans shop I worked with advised me to use only the original ZF damper plate as some of the others on the marktet were prone to early failure.

brianb00

O - 34
Thanks, I have reached the same conclusions on both engine raise and stock damper. I was hoping there was a mounting plate like on other installations, something I was missing after careful inspection. Thanks for your note