• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Installing new water pump on E32 [A4, 1970s]

Sailhound

Member II
I feel like an idiot for asking for help with this, but after 4 hours upside down in the engine compartment, I’m stumped and tapping out. I bought a new water pump for the A4 (in my model it is the raw water pump at the back of the engine) I can not get the bottom bolt in. 4 hours, no luck. There is just no access. It’s the E32 (1971) has anyone run into this and has a trick up their sleeve?78CED363-0891-4BBB-A774-3819703278FB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I don't have an A4, but google suggest you are not alone in this frustration. You may have found these threads already.

It seems replacing the lower bolt with an after-market 'extended bolt' is the hot tip.

I would try:

Remove the top bolt
Remove the surrounding hoses
Apply lots of PB blaster
Get in there with some vise grips.
Replace with better fasteners when complete.

Completely guessing, but trying to help...

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Did you try a deep socket and/or ratchet extender? If the bolt is too rounded off you may need to get one of those bolt extractors with the grooves that bite in as you loosen the bolt.

Moyer‘s “Extendo” bolt is genius. I have it...even though my A4 has a vee-drive so I have good access to the pump from the cabin.

Sailhound

Member II
I don't have an A4, but google suggest you are not alone in this frustration. You may have found these threads already.

It seems replacing the lower bolt with an after-market 'extended bolt' is the hot tip.

I would try:

Remove the top bolt
Apply lots of PB blaster

Thank you very much for the assistance.

I would try:

Remove the top bolt
Apply lots of PB blaster

Thank you very much for your assistance. As it turns out, this is a common issue and to be clear, the bolt came out, but getting it back in is far more complicated. Moyer sells a 'bolt extension' for this specific application, but again, this is not mentioned anywhere in the service manual. I am going to build my own extension bolt to deal with the problem. Thanks again