• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Instant coffee

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
I have spent countless nights under the stars and as a result have had countless cups of bad coffee. The cone/funnel method can produce good results and Starbucks instant is good but expensive. I recently came across a nice instant coffee. Not expensive, goes a long way and it makes a pleasant cup. If you try it let me know your thoughts.PXL_20220526_152416565.jpg

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Thanks Bepie. I’m a coffee addict…I’ve never seen it in the store, where did you buy it?

cathers

I've been drinking Medaglia for years. It's great stuff. You can usually find it with the rest of the ground coffees and beans in your supermarket. I won't make a passage without 2 jars onboard.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No slight intended for coffee lovers, but we have been serving instant/freeze dried coffee aboard our boat(s) for thirty years. Only comment received from visitors, if they even notice which is rare/seldom, is that it's good.

For savoring when you are at anchor, add a touch of Kahlua and any potential taste problem is solved.
If spending less $, "Monarch Coffee Liqeur" tastes the same in your coffee, and is produced in my fair state.

I do believe that I shall try to find the OP's brand of instant coffee, also.
:)

I used to use the "cone and funnel" scheme many years ago on the boat, and got tired of the extra 'work'. I am probably not appreciative enough of 'good' coffee... !

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Thanks Bepie. I’m a coffee addict…I’ve never seen it in the store, where did you buy it?
I first came across it in Springdale Utah at the local grocery store. A few days ago I bought some at Target in Long Beach.

Slick470

Member III
I buy whole beans and use a ceramic hand grinder and either a small french press or aeropress for my morning cup. I'm the only one in my house that drinks coffee so I've been working through the perfect 1 cup for my purposes for a while now and I think I'm pretty close. I've been fine tuning my system to use at home, on the boat, or when camping with the family.

steven

Sustaining Member
I cold brew. works fine in icebox, refrigerator, or at room temperature.
Makes strong stuff (which I like).

1653824443877.png

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
I cold brew. works fine in icebox, refrigerator, or at room temperature.
Makes strong stuff (which I like).

View attachment 43033
If you like it strong try trader Joe's espresso grind. I would use the Cone
I buy whole beans and use a ceramic hand grinder and either a small french press or aeropress for my morning cup. I'm the only one in my house that drinks coffee so I've been working through the perfect 1 cup for my purposes for a while now and I think I'm pretty close. I've been fine tuning my system to use at home, on the boat, or when camping with the family.

filter and it made delicious coffee but I had to stop because it was so strong I was starting to rattle.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Small rituals can be a grounding experience.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I buy whole beans and use a ceramic hand grinder and either a small french press or aeropress

I do the same thing. Not because I'm particularly fussy about my coffee (it's pretty much a warm caffeine-delivery system, as far as I'm concerned) but because I gotta boil the water anyway, grinding the beans while waiting for the water to come to temp is a trivial effort and produces a better cup of coffee than any instant I've tried.

It's easy enough to use the french press, even under way - I can bring the press on deck while it "steeps" . At dockside, I also have a filter for pour-over, it's an even easier process and less time-critical but hard to do when the boat is heeling.

Slick470

Member III
I do the same thing. Not because I'm particularly fussy about my coffee (it's pretty much a warm caffeine-delivery system, as far as I'm concerned) but because I gotta boil the water anyway, grinding the beans while waiting for the water to come to temp is a trivial effort and produces a better cup of coffee than any instant I've tried.

It's easy enough to use the french press, even under way - I can bring the press on deck while it "steeps" . At dockside, I also have a filter for pour-over, it's an even easier process and less time-critical but hard to do when the boat is heeling.
Likewise. I find the grinding to be a nice keep myself busy, but still related to what I'm trying to accomplish type activity while waiting for the water to boil. If I go off and do something unrelated, I might get distracted and forget about the coffee.... I also agree that fresh ground makes a better cup of coffee and I've found that medium roast whole beans stay fresh a lot longer than anything pre-ground. When you drink a single cup of coffee a day like I do, it's something to consider.

Teranodon

Member III
It's easy to make coffee on the boat. I use Tully's ground French roast. I don't carry glass objects, so I have this "Mira" stainless French press from Amazon:

1653859782371.png

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I don't carry glass objects, so I have this "Mira" stainless French press from Amazon:

Ditto on the "no glass". On Makana it's a Bodum plastic french press. 20 bucks at the starbucks kiosk in the grocery store. Works great.

612gLtZEtsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Slick470

Member III
My french press is a "Rite Press" it's stainless steel and the bottom screws off to make it easier to clean. It came from the first Kickstarter that I ever contributed to. Apparently, I was one of the few people to actually get one of them and they had a long drawn out sob story on how they couldn't deliver more of them. That's Kickstarter though. It's a pretty decent french press and it is a bit easier to clean than a typical one. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146423791/rite-press-the-no-mess-french-press You can only get the plastic version on Amazon now: https://www.amazon.com/Rite-Essential-French-Patented-removable/dp/B07J5F2L7H but it only gets so-so reviews.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
With the French press, is it a problem getting rid of the spent grounds? With a pour over it is easy to get them into the trash.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author

Attachments

• 1F99046F-E183-430E-B7A6-128FB0864F64.jpeg
    1F99046F-E183-430E-B7A6-128FB0864F64.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 4

Slick470

Member III
For ease of getting rid of grounds, and a french press style coffee, an Aeropress is pretty good. It will compress the grounds into a little puck that is pretty easy to get rid of. You loose some of the oils in the coffee which supposedly add to flavor, but for limited water cleanup, it's a good option.