• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Interesting Admiral Nimitz' legacy in todays Japan

1911tex

Sustaining Member
This YouTube video is only a few days old. I subscribed and gave a thumbs up....maybe you might consider doing the same:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yeah, sorry. Seems like something that could be better posted as text. Not gonna watch a talking head for half an hour.

But I offer a recollection of a visit to the museum at the US Naval Academy, some years ago. (I used to attend a lot of dull meetings in Annapolis, always in the winter.) It's a small museum with some very cool, if somewhat specialized exhibits. Anyhow, out in the hallway, there was a small display case with specimens of every medal available to be awarded in the US Navy. Next to it, was a display approximately three or four times larger with all of the medals that were awarded to Admiral Nimitz. Many of them obviously one-off decorations from small Pacific nations. Lots of pearl encrustations and such.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Actually, my comment is completely worthless as now that I think again, it seems that I may have seen Admiral Halsey's medals and cannot say for sure. It's only been 30 years!

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I had heard that Nimitz resisted the naming of the 880 freeway Nimitz on the grounds that he didn’t want to hear about people being killed on the Nimitz. Once again, his instincts were correct.