• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Interior Cushions - Replacement - Chicago area

Mindscape

Member III
We are looking for new interior cushions for our 32-3. Mindscape is in Kenosha, WI. Wondered if anyone had any suggestions for someone we could work with in this area to make us some new interior cushions and covers? Spoke briefly to Boat Tailors from Racine at the Larsen in water boat show this weekend. We'll try and meet with them next weekend. Any suggestions would be great, Thanks!

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Find a non-marine upholsterer away from the lake and get a quote. It may be significantly lower than a "marine" upholsterer. I use a local company that does mostly residential work, and I only deal with the owner. Make sure they know that the cushion will be sitting on a hard surface.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have had great (and economical) boat cushion work done by a shop that did custom cars as well as household upholstery. Their car experience was great because the guy was used to working with pieces where nothing is square....
:)
He taught us a lot about foam density, too, so that we would order the right foam.

LB

Last edited:

tcooper

Member II
Material for Cushions

Anyone have an opinion on best material? cloth or vinyl (Leather feel) I'm going to replace the 1980 checkered cloth and can't decide what I want. Tom

outahere

Member II
What type of foam are you planning to use or are you just replacing the covers? I need to make cushions for my 27.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What type of foam are you planning to use or are you just replacing the covers? I need to make cushions for my 27.

Our new foam was the 2.6 # density. That was in '95. Still sit and sleep on all cushions with no bottoming out. (Yeah, there's probably a pun there somewhere)
The cheaper (and lighter weight) OEM stuff is often 1.8.

LB

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Good one!

Our new foam was the 2.6 # density. That was in '95. Still sit and sleep on all cushions with no bottoming out. (Yeah, there's probably a pun there somewhere)
The cheaper (and lighter weight) OEM stuff is often 1.8. LB

:hail: Damn, Loren... Now I owe you two. The first was "barrel nuts". Thanx.

tcooper

Member II
I was thinking on replacing the foam in the bunk that I sleep on the most with a memory foam and reusing the rest. I would need to take out a loan to replace all the floam:( Still unlcear if I want a cloth or some sort vinyl. The vinyl is easier to clean, but does the foam and underside hold moisture more than a cloth and create mold problems? All my boats have always been cloth but the vinyl has apeal. I always take my cushions out and store in my dry barn for winter with all my other gear.

Tom

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The foam in all my cushions should really be replaced, too. But as noted, that can get pretty expensive. My thought would be to replace only the seating foam and leave the back foam alone. In my case I would reuse the covers.

You really want the highest density foam you can get for the seating. The original stuff is just not sufficient and is painful to sleep on. (Even to sit on for more than a few minutes.)

I have found that on my boat the quarter berth area is my preferred sleeping area. Recently I had a piece of 2" high density foam cut to fit in my quarter berth. I put it under the two original cushions when I am going to sleep in there. The new foam is not covered and I have noticed that condensation will occur overnight between that foam and the fiberglass of the quarter berth. So using a vinyl covering for the cushions may not be the best idea.

jamnet

Member I
we had a really good experience with this company .....

A&D Specialty Sewing
410 Northwest Highway,
Fox River Grove, IL. 60021
http://adspecialtysewing.com/
Tel: (847) 639-0390
email: info@grovesofa.com

He replaced all the cushions for the prior owner of our boat and he also competed a replacement cushion for us. Gave us an initial quote that was reasonable and the actual price he invoiced was below the quote.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
My seat cushions are cloth on top and vinyl on the underside. It seems to be the best of both worlds as moisture and condensation is prevented from rising into the foam and the fabric has a warm feel and breathes. The problem with all vinyl apart from the aesthetics is that any moisture that gets in stays there quite a while. Fabric allows vapor to pass right through it so as the boat sweats and the bilge evaporates, it is filling the foam with moisture. The 50/ 50 mix seems to solve it somewhat. Just my experience, Edd