• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Interior Optimization

Filkee

Sustaining Member
From the division of stupid late winter ideas: Having removed the swing out cabinet under the chart table to replace my battery charger, I have discovered an alternate universe of space and my son, who occupies the quarter berth and usually enjoys a bag of recycling near his head at night suggested that perhaps a system where cans and bottles wind up under the table might be a better way to go.

I don’t want to ignite an argument about the value of paper charts, but the hole above the pull out would be perfect for beer/soda cans and if I could maximize the space below, it just might hold a weekend worth of debris. How crazy am I?A1834EC8-C3D5-4706-9A24-BB72D4863D8E.jpegE2F1C132-6B9A-438D-B94F-E3003D0D4F65.jpeg

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Great idea...no more outside trash bag or can. Put a correct size pull string trash bag inside the tilt out and use one side of the tubes as bottomless. Use another ingenious way to secure the bag. Your son seems like the likely suspect for ideas !

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Great idea...no more outside trash bag or can. Put a correct size pull string trash bag inside the tilt out and use one side of the tubes as bottomless. Use another ingenious way to secure the bag. Your son seems like the likely suspect for ideas !
The admiral would not tolerate a disposable bag. Some sewmanship may be required.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
From the division of stupid late winter ideas: Having removed the swing out cabinet under the chart table to replace my battery charger, I have discovered an alternate universe of space
//
View attachment 37896
Ooooh! I've always wondered if there's useful space in there - thank you!
My battery charge-controller is in my stbd cockpit lazarette, which means there's probably space in this area on my boat for something else - you've given me a fun task for this weekend ... but what to put in there? hmmm.

Slick470

Member III
Question about using that push through. On our Olson, the area behind that push through is the port sail locker. Is it set up on other boats where you can access that trash bin to empty it without climbing down into the sail locker?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We use that convenient push-through area for our stove Propane tank...easy to reach-twist the valve on and off for safety from inside over the sink. Much easier than going back to the stern tank locations....which we use for other stuff.
Well now, that got my attention! Unless you have converted that area to an actual sealed propane locker with approved drain, you are flirting with major danger and the cancellation of your insurance.

Yikes.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Eliminate cans and bottles: Pressurized growlers.
BeerLover64stainless.jpg

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I got rid of the tilt-out drawer under the galley--love the extra space. Haven't considered drilling holes on the countertop yet, though.

20170122_180828.jpg 20170122_180914.jpg

I ripped the old tilt-out apart. It yielded several nice pieces of teak and teak-veneered plywood for other projects.

20170101_173422.jpg

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Seems like a good first step. Then I find a way to stand up a bag in there and cans through one of the chart hole. If I decide to get more clever later I can. Thanks for the inspiration.

Chris Mc.

Member III
From a purveyor of empty cans perspective, I surmise eight cans in, maybe ten, and a jam.
I love the idea and have to admit; I’ve been compelled more than twice to insert a can (beer) into one of those map portals just because if it fits, why not?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I added some 1 quart paint buckets to the unused wine holders under the nav desk for storage. No more stuff lost into the depths!

4F0F9B88-78A9-414E-883C-C25FEF4A4F48_1_105_c.jpeg