• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Interior Wood Identification

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
A previous owner removed the backrest of the starboard settee, shelf, and all storage space to install a fuel tank big enough for the Titanic. I am about to restore that area, but I need help identifying the wood. The first two pics (from the port side) are solid wood, and the third is a veneer.

Also, where can I find this stuff in the Los Angeles area? I'm in San Pedro.

DSCN0060.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/DennyFCrane/DSCN0061.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/DennyFCrane/DSCN0062.jpg

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I think pictures #1 & 2 are teak; #3 is either teak veneer or mahogany veneer. It won't be cheap to replace, and may have to be ordered in for you, but should be possible.
Someone else may have a suggested supplier in your area, and confirm or correct my guess.
Frank.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Mark- I agree with Frank. The first two pics are of teak and the third I believe is mahogany. I could tell you where to get the stuff in Wisconsin. Have Fun. Rob Hessenius

Shadowfax

Member III
I agree it is teak as I'm pretty sure is the plywood. Mahogany is a bit more grainy. Both are available, but as Frank said they will have to be ordered in if you do not have an exotic wood supplier in your area. Any good lumber yard can order this for you and yes, it will be pricey.

Last edited:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Thanks! More shopping tips?

The consensus seems to be everything is teak. Any more ideas on where I can find it?

I'm still scratching my head wondering why this was not replaced after the fuel tank was installed. Who would trash perfectly good expensive teak???

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Also...

How would you describe the wood in the photos? The grain patterns are very different, and I want to match them as well as I can.

Based on some internet browsing, I'm thinking the veneer is "quarter cut" and the plank is "flat cut." Am I on track?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Mark,
You might be able to find some teak at a good lumber yard, especially a yard close to the ocean. San Lorenzo Lumber on 41 Ave. in Santa Cruz use to have a ton of the stuff (boards, not ply).

Paul,
I'm sure Niece has a big pile somewhere. ;-)

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Teak-not my favorite wood

Mark,
The fiddle rails are plainsawn, the veneer is quartersawn. I buy my teak
rough, but S2S is available at Reel Lumber, Anaheim, Orange Coast
Lumber, Santa Ana, Long Beach Plywood, Strata Forest Products, Santa
Ana, to name a few. Be prepared for sticker shock. It's very spendy,
the quality isn't near what it was back in the day, and it's absolutely
murder on edge tools like jointers and planers. My boat has a teak interior
and lots of the stuff on the exterior as well so I'm stuck with using
it. Give me mahogany!!

Martin

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Mark,
S2S-surfaced 2 sides. You might check out Pin Forest. I heard
they carry teak and are closer to you.

Martin

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Pin Forest?

Pin Forest? Pine Forest? I googled both and nothing came up.

Where are they located?

Thanks again,

-mark

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Pin Forest, Long Beach. 310-761-8606
They have some teak but not a big selection right now.

Martin

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Sorry to be the lone dissenter, but that second picture is not teak. I'd bet ten board-feet of teak that it's cherry. :)

The first is definitely teak.

Teak is more open grained than the second pic. Small, open grain pores. The second picture has a very closed grain, and has fiddle-figure very characteristic of cherry in the bottom-center of the board.

The third picture is the one I'm least sure of. I think I agree that it's probably quartered teak, as others have said, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's not mahogany because of the medulary rays.

If there's a hidden spot without finish, you can easily tell if it's teak by smell.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

Nate, I'm generally not a betting man, so I won't take your 10 feet of teak--but the second one is definitely not cherry; it's teak. It will be interesting to see how others respond, but I don't think Ericson ever used cherry on any of their boats--does anyone know this for sure?
Frank.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I could be convinced Frank.

I've actually been going back and forth on the identity of #2 and 3 (I've edited my post about three times in the last 5 minutes. :))

I've never seen such tight figure in teak, but it's possible. As I looked at picture 2 again, I thought I saw more open grain, but that the picture might be a little fuzzy obscuring the grain? I don't know.

I give up, and I'm rescinding my bet, so I don't lose my shirt. :p

Frank Langer

Nate,
I think you are wise, in case someone on this site needs an extra 10 feet of teak! :D But it will be interesting to see what others think. My understanding is that Ericson used only teak and mahogany in their boats, and pictures one and two aren't mahogany, therefore likely teak. I was a bit puzzled by the third one, and initially thought it could be mahogany, but I think it's also teak veneer.
Maybe someone like Seth or Loren will know if any other woods were used. Either way it's fun speculating...
Frank.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
This is getting interesting!

I wished I piped up before Nate rescinded the bet!

Pics one and two are the same wood. The board in pic one, is at the left side of pic two, and joined to the piece that looks a little more curly. I'm positive they're the same type of wood -- I only posted pic two because I wanted people to see the curly part before offering their opinion. Therefore, if #1 is teak, then so is #2.

Initially, I thought pic three was mahogany. Then I started perusing the websites of veneer vendors, and I'm thinking my piece looks like quarter sawn teak. I could be persuaded otherwise, but for the moment, I'm suspecting it's teak.

Now I'm thinking my entire cabin is teak. Could that be?

How about the exterior wood? Lee boards? Grab rails? Washboards?

Here are some pics taken by the previous owner:

cockpit2.jpg

deck.jpg

looking_aft.jpg

Interior.jpg

port_aft.jpg

Frank Langer

Mark, yes you missed a good opportunity! :D
I think all of the wood in your pictures is teak, with the exception of the tiller, where it appears to me that the blonde wood is ash (quite common in these type of tillers) and the darker wood could be either teak or mahogany.
Nice boat!
Frank.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Sure you want to make that bet?

To the best of my knowlege, Ericson never used cherry in their
interiors. It was always mahogany usually phillipine, or teak. If
one fiddle rail is definitely teak, then it is safe to assume
the rest of it was teak as well.

Martin