• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Introducing the Ericson 43 - Whoa did this ever happen?????

Neil Gallagher

1984 E381
Ericson-43.jpgEricson-43-interior-1.jpgEricson-43-interior-2.jpgWhile pouring through multiple 3 ring binders of Ericson documents from the previous owner of our e381 I found two issues of the Ericson owners new letter titled "The Ericson Burgee". In the January 1992 edition was the announcement of the Ericson 43 by Pacific Seacraft. I scanned in the brochure and attached it here. Wow what a boat! Does anyone know if these were ever built? I've also scanned and attached the news letter, makes interesting reading.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Nope, never built. As far as I know they never got past drawings (no molds or other tooling)

gorgeous, though.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Ericson’s copy often seemed a little too over-the-top/cheesy for their intended audience.

“Here it is, and it’s real.”

In this case, also ironic.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The interior is a close fit with the Sweden 41 a friend of mine just bought. The Sweden's interior is knock out gorgeous.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Thank you, Neil. I can't find this, "I've also scanned and attached the news letter, makes interesting reading."

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm going to ask Ericson to stop production of this boat as there is a problem with the interior plan.

There are no straight benches, and therefore no places for a watch to fall below and sleep an hour, or for milady to recline napwise after her mimosa.

The thingamabob on starboard is split into chairs, the settee table seats look like a Bucky Fuller brainstorm, and aft the port seat appears in the shape of an eyebrow.

Straight seats in the middle of the boat are what you want. V-berths are useless in heavy weather and climbs into the owner's cabin in wet foul weather gear are rarely appreciated by the owner.

Does anybody have the current Ericson phone number?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Straight seats in the middle of the boat are what you want. V-berths are useless in heavy weather and climbs into the owner's cabin in wet foul weather gear are rarely appreciated by the owner.

Does anybody have the current Ericson phone number?

Christian - I do believe you have forgotten that modern boats are not meant to go to sea. Nobody who has ever gone to sea in a small boat would buy one of these.

That said, that is where the market is.

And being an old codger, I need a straight bench to relax on to read a Christian Williams book, listen to a Rick Reynolds disc, or enjoy other good stuff.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Meh, target marketed for 38 owners looking to move up. Designed and I believe tank tested but never tooled. The 1991 luxury tax put an end to the fun.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Wonder who has the tank test model??

Random aside.... years ago I was racing on a boat out of Marina Del Rey, and in the slip next door was a hot-looking little boat, about 27 feet long. Open deck, kind of like a 6-meter, but a very IOR shape. I thought it was quite sexy.

Turned out the hull had started life as a 1/3-scale tank-test model for Kialoa V (the Frers-designed 80-foot IOR maxi). Someone had purchased it, rigged it out and ended up with a great little daysailer to play with.

I always thought that was kinda cool.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Bet it's hanging in my dad's office. He kept many of the models.

Would love to see a picture of that office. I've been in Bob Perry's and it is a lovely place with all his half-models, but I've gotta believe your dad's is heaven for an Ericson fan.

BTW, Bob says to say "hi". I see him a few times a year (I brought my Ericson to his Perry-boat sail-in last year), he says he and your dad know each other...

Bruce

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Man, I wish I had that boat! She’s a beauty!

Crazy that Ericson would promote this when they were becoming Pacific Seacraft.

Tom, I have released 14 albums / CD’s. For you I have autographed copies but you’ll have to pop over while you are in Florida this spring!