• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Is Defender Marine trustworthy? Looking to buy a radar

Epenn

1985 E30+, San Francisco, CA
I found a radar deal at defender for more than $1k off the retail price. Is it too good to be true? Might it be some sort of B stock? It's B&G, so does anyone have experience with the manufacturer warranty? Has anyone made large purchases from defender?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I have purchased from Defender. Some time back their customer list was attacked by a foreign entity (which happens unfortunately across America daily)..Defender immediately sent all their customers a letter notifying credit cards may have been compromised...I followed up and mine was one of the victims, which the credit card company reissued and credited my loss. Defender was up front which many companies are not. I still purchase from them. Reputable company.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I've bought a number of things from Defender, generally good (and reputable) supplier.

The only asterisk I'd put on that is I've heard a number of reports from people who have had spurious charges on their credit card statement after a purchase from Defender. Not sure if they were the victim of a data-breach or an individual card-compromise, or what. Might be worth a call to them to get the straight-scoop so you can decide if there's a reason to be concerned....

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
I've bought $$$ at Defender online and at their warehouse in Waterford, CT. They are reputable and very good to deal with. Yes, their website was compromised recently with malware and I'm also one of the customers that was notified about it albeit after I noticed an odd charge on my credit card.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
I've made many large purchases from Defender, including a radar/chart plotter bundle, instruments, dinghy, etc. Never had an issue with credit fraud, shipping, or quality of goods. And have had no problem with returns either.
If I had to guess the radar is likely a soon to be discontinued model. I bought mine just as Raymarine discontinued Axiom for Axiom+ and saved a bundle. Just like buying last year's car model (except I would never buy a new car). Still warrantied.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Defender is my marine retailer of choice and on 80% of items Defender is cheaper than West. Also, they often have factory refurbished units from the major electronics manufacturers and hold pretty good holiday sales. To save on shipping, my approach at the beginning of the spring maintenance season or before a big project is to plan everything out and place a big order as opposed to placing multiple orders. That being said, any returns you pay the shipping on so planning is critical and, if you are unsure, go visit the product in person at your local chandlery (for me West) and then compare to Defender's pricing and do the cost/benefit of having now vs. shipping cost, etc.

Touchrain

Member III
I found a radar deal at defender for more than $1k off the retail price. Is it too good to be true? Might it be some sort of B stock? It's B&G, so does anyone have experience with the manufacturer warranty? Has anyone made large purchases from defender?
I’ve always had a good experience with them.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good company. The competition is more alert these days, so check around. Their price can sometimes be defeated and Google makes comparisons easy.

One useful Defender function is your own retail order history. Mine goes way back, and I can look up the order to remind myself the Regatta braid mainsheet is 7/16ths.....

CTOlsen

Member III
I have been ordering from them for 20 years and am a happy customer. They will honor other distributors' sales prices, provided they are advertised on-line. I purchased motors for my primary winches from them after referring to an ad from another distributor in Texas. They met the sales price.