• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Is my rudder on my E26 loose?

blowboater

It's my first season with my 68 E26. When I was am perpendicular to the channel, and try to stear into the current, the boat will not respond, it will only respond if I "pump" the tiller. This problem only seems to occur in the strong current. Also I notice that there seems to be a vibration when I'm underway above 4kts in the tiller. Is my rudder loose, and if so, what's the best way to solve this problem?

valentor

Member II
It is certainly possible that your rudder is loose. You could easily check by fixing your tiller in place then trying to move the rudder from in the water.

Play in the rudder could be caused by loose rudder bearings, or much worse if the blade is becoming detached from the rudder shaft. Either should be addressed urgently. Ericson original rudder bearings are often nothing more than PVC tubing fiberglassed in place. To reduce play, inserts can be added, or the tubing can be replaced. An even better solution is to install real rudder bearings with a built-in stuffing box (like those available at Edson).

On my E-34, The rudder bearings (which I replaced) are now very good and the rudder has virtually no play. However, the flow occasionally becomes detached form the rudder and water cavitates at the leading edge of the rudder causing the rudder to become sluggish and ineffective. This usually occurs at higher speeds while sailing off the wind. Pumping it a few times clears the cavitation allowing the water flow to re-attach and everything returns quickly to normal. This phenomenon might be your problem.

Happy hunting...

Steve

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Loose rudder

It is hard to say from your description if the rudder is loose or not-my good friend "valentor" gives very good advice on how to check it.

What you are seeing is likely this:
1). Responsive to pumping in current: Your boat has a pretty small rudder, and there are times when it can't overcome the forces acting on the boat-these could be current, heel, weather helm, etc. and a vigorous pump may help at these times. This is not a complete explanation but is nonetheless true.

2). Vibration at 4+ knots: Far and away the most likely culprit is an unfair rudder-meaning that the sides are no longer the smooth, shaped surface they were built with, or the trailing edge may have dings or dents (for that matter it could be the leading or bottom edge also). Any of these factors can and often do produce a vibration and sometimes a humming noise. This is more likely the cause of the vibration that a loose rudder-since we see it in brand new rudders all the time(until they have been faired). Next chance you get, make sure both sides are smooth and symetrical, and that the front, back and bottom are straight and free of dents or dings. I'll bet you a buck or 2 you will find one or all of these things with your rudder. Fix them and it should go away. The speed at which the vibration occurs can vary from 1kt.-hull speed-all depends on what is wrong-but can't be predicted.
Also possible, but much less likely for you, is an unfair portion of the keel-again, could be on any edge or side of the keel, but sometimes this will cause a vibration and/or humming, felt through the steering system. If your rudder is perfect, check the keel-I am sure you will find something amiss-and it doesn't take much to cause this.

Good luck!

S