• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Is the E34 a boat for racing?

Weily1

We are looking at an E34 and I wanted to know what folks who have sailed her think about her as a racer for distance and around the buoys on Long Island Sound.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We are looking at an E34 and I wanted to know what folks who have sailed her think about her as a racer for distance and around the buoys on Long Island Sound.

It will help if you can tell us the year. There were two different model 34 Ericson's.
If there is an on-line listing, just post up the link.

Teranodon

Member III
<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px}</style>I only sailed on Long Island Sound once, about 60 years ago, and it was my first sailboat experience. Things have probably changed since then, so I won’t venture a direct opinion. But here on Puget Sound, my E34 does just fine as a club racer. My rating (with spinnaker) is 144, so I am rarely first-to-finish, but it is possible to win on occasion. Compared with other boats in its class, the E34 points, turns and accelerates well.

I have configured my Talpa as a cruiser (windlass, heater, fridge, extra batteries, etc.) and I normally carry all sorts of gear such as folding chairs. When I race, I do it for fun, so I don’t even pump out the water tanks. But, given a few knots of wind, the boat performs well and is competitive. Plus, as everyone here will attest, any Ericson has a sweet disposition.

I do most of my racing as crew on a fast Raven centerboard dinghy. That’s a very different kind of sailing!

SH trophy.jpg

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Interesting. Mine was rated at 135 with 130, drifter and triradial. The base rating (full set of racing sails) is 126.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
My 1987 E34 was bought in SCal and has several first place award plaques circa early 1990's on the nav table. The last previous owner set it up for cruising with Air Conditioning, TV, radar, etc so it is not competitive now but I find it pretty fast.