• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Is this the correct cooling impeller pump for the M25 5421?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Christian: This cost is much better; however it states for a M25 5411 engine. Mine is a 5421 engine. Is there a difference other than number of cylinders and horsepower? I really appreciate your response!!

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Also check pumpsandpartsonline.com. And Defender. Defender has a low-cost Globe 815 run dry impeller that replaces the oberdorfer original one. It's more important to figure out what pump you have than what engine you have. If the pump has been replaced, it could be different from Factory spec for that engine.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Great point! "It more important to figure out what pump you have than engine". Thank you....will check out the Globe 815 as well.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Globe impellers have had reliability problems in the past. Not sure if that is still true.
I've heard that, too, but I've also heard the contrary. I've used them for the last two seasons with good results--including a 30 min run-dry incident where I opened the salt-water galley seacock instaed of the engine raw water seacock while in a hurry.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I've heard that, too, but I've also heard the contrary. I've used them for the last two seasons with good results--including a 30 min run-dry incident where I opened the salt-water galley seacock instaed of the engine raw water seacock while in a hurry.
30 minutes with the seacock closed? I'm surprised the engine didn't overheat and set off the alarm before then.

At any rate, the problem with the Globe impellers is that the hubs would become detached from the vanes such that the hubs would spin but the vanes would not--not a great failure mode. There was quite a bit of chatter about this on the sailing forums. Again, I don't know whether they have redesigned them to address this problem.

debonAir

Member III
AFAICT, Universal used two types of Oberdorfer pumps. The only real difference between them is how they attached to the engine. One (202M-16) needs a little shaft-adapter thing to extend the shaft and is used when the engine has a flange bolted (actually, nuts on studs) on it to adapt the bolt pattern to the pump. The other style (202M-03) bolts directly to the engine: no shaft extender needed. I've read the reason for the two was that back in the hey-day they were building so many engines they bought all the stock of the regular 03 pumps and adapted for the other model just to keep building. The spot it bolts on to is where the hour-meter attaches to on the tractors the engine was designed for. Some engines might be fitted with Sherwood pumps, but even in that case you'll want to replace it with an Oberdorfer.

You can tell which pump you have by seeing how it attaches to the engine. If there's a flange, you'll need the -16 If not, it'll be the -03 probably. Look at the pictures online of the -03 and note the two mounting holes, then look at the -16 and note the 5 mounting holes, and compare to your pump. The -908 model you linked isn't the right part (no mounting holes).

You should be able to get a new pump for about $260 from partsandpumpsonline. When I did my first pump replacement I had them ship both styles since I wasn't sure and the boat was far away at the time. When I replaced my timing gear cover I had to take off the adapter flange and realized then that the other style pump which I had on the bench would mount directly on to where the studs were for the adapter flange and I wouldn't need the little shaft extender either.

JSM

Member III
Take a look at your pump , there should be a small metal tag on the face plate with the model number on it. Why are you replacing the pump ? If it is an Oberdorfer it can easily be rebuilt. I did mine last year parts ran abuot $125.00.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Thank you again debonAir and JSM.....also the small metal tag is non readable.....I think I have the proper Oberdorfer figured out...partsandpumpsonline has great product support.