• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Is winter half over yet? I want to go to Door County!

marcusn

Member II
Being a newbie at cruising (recently purchased a 27 footer), I'm wondering what daily passages I could expect to make (assuming decent weather) from Waukegan, IL to say Sturgeon Bay, WI. I'd take a sheltered harbor nightly to get rest and also seek safety.

I'm thinking:
Waukegan, IL --> Milwaukee, WI --> Sheboygan --> Sturgeon Bay (--> Egg Harbor, maybe)

Does this sound doable?
Or, how many miles per daylight could should I expect to make our e27?

Good gosh, this is just a dream of mine waiting to get whet this summer!

Thanks

sleather

Sustaining Member
Adventure Time!

Great way to chase the winter blues!:egrin: I'm thinkin' Isle Royale!

Your looking @ ~50mi days. Very do-able, 10-12 hrs. @ 4-5(average including motoring) isn't unrealistic. I would plan on late June- early July(stay away from the 4th) for the best winds and longest daylight. Winds should be W-S so your looking @ very comfortable sailing out-bound and a tad on-the-nose returning. My first trip to the Apostle Islands was in mid-August, total disaster, no wind, hot and black flies everywhere(where do they come from?)

The water temps would be cool that time of year, but when is Michigan ever warm?

Don't discount Racine, Port Washington, Manitowoc, or Kewaunee all have good harbors. My recommendation is to contact ALL the port cities(Chamber of Commerce) along the route for maps and guest mooring information(phone #'s) so IF you have a bad or good day you can change plans "on-the-fly". If you have a cell-phone and a wire-less laptop you can contact anybody directly. A good VHF radio will allow you to talk to the marinas(most monitor)

Oh and do plan on Washington and Rock Island the beauty really starts north of Sturgeon Bay. Outside to W.I and inside return to S.B.

Need crew?:egrin: ..........boating "inquisition" to follow:egrin:

PS While you're waiting for your maps & charts take a "virtual tour" on Google Maps(satellite)

Last edited:

escapade

Inactive Member
harbors

On our first cruise (with an E27 BTW!) we tried to stop at every harbor either on the way to or back from Mackinaw Is. from Saginaw Bay. It has been helpful as now we have some "local knowledge" of every harbor along that section of coast. After 20 years there are a couple we haven't returned to but the knowledge of what's available when things get dicey is invalueable. Also, 50 mi/day is doable, 40 is more comfortable, once you feel at ease 125mi trips are a good way to get somewhere (depending on your weather window). Just get out there & do it.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 #265 Escapade:cheers:

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
I want to go to Door County too!

Door county? Me too! My crew and I have been throwing around the idea of doing The Hook this year and I think we'll do it.

Any tips or knowledge a, ah, “virgin hooker” could use would be appreciated :egrin:

Plan is to sail fast up there and take our time coming back.

I've been to every marina from North Point to Port Washington - never anything north or south of those two. Tend to spend my time crossing to the Michigan side. Should be fun. 25th anniversary of the hook this year.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Shameful!

What's this site coming to? Death's Door Challenge & virgin hookers? Sounds like a "Viking" pillage!:egrin:

Sounds like a BLAST! NO Ericsons in 2007, sad:esad:

The main problem w/ Death's Door in July is the possibility of FOG! I've been stuck in "pea-soup" fog a number of times fishing out of Gill's Rock. It's generated by the difference in water/air temps between Green Bay and the Lake. It's part of the reason that the area is so aptly named. Nothing like having radar equipped Charter fishing boats fly by you @ 25K w/ nothing but the sound of the engines to tell you where "they" are.:eek: Do the "Race Rules" require RADAR?

The other issue is the numerous shoals in the passage, w/ a good chart, GPS and good navigation you'll be fine. In the "fog" it gets scary w/o GPS(don't ask). Just like the good-old-days!;)

Cross overs(great)? Grand Haven, Saugatuck, Holland? I worked on the "other-side" decades ago!

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
I have a a list of safety items to get before the race one being a passive radar reflector. Radar is not required for the race, I have it, but never use it. I feel I would need some solid training to really get anything out of it.

I'm also thinking I need an a-sail. Light westerly winds in July are common and don't feel like moving along at 3 knots waiting for wind to fill my genoa.
Problem is sticker shock of buying a new a-sail.:esad:

Although, I have used my s-sail as an a-sail, it works, problem is you gotta stay in a 15 degree AWA band to keep it from collapsing. You can get decent speed, but it's a long race and that is a lot of concentrating.

Hopefully, I'll make my fellow Ericson owners proud by entering the race, finishing the race, and hopefully doing well in my division.

I e-mailed Ron Weiss, the coordinator of the race asking for any advice, here is his direct quote:
"Things to know about the Hook. Sail fast - eat good- enjoy the party with all the others !!!!!!!!!"
I think my crew and I will fit right in... :egrin:

Jason