• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

it's 2023 now, has anyone got any great news about electric motor conversions brand name suggestions, pricing for a E35-2?

LeifThor

Member III
The sad day finally arrived when my Atomic 4 gave it's last gasp. With a hole in my water jacket, it must be put out to pasture and I must search the land far and wide for a new engine.

Not being a fan of explosive liquid on my boat, I'm also ready to consider-
Diesel probably a Kubota 25
or an Electric motor

What I'd really like to get my hands on is a Omega 1, but they're some time away from being buyable.

Has anyone developed an electric motor of late that blows the competition out of the water and is affordable??

Any new battery technology out there anyone wants to share for my course towards being able to go sailing again.

I know if I'm looking for Diesel tech news there's nothing new there, and if I'm looking for Atomic 4 news, there's nothing new there either.

But electric motors are evolving quickly, and so that's why I'm curious if there is any news you've heard out there.

I should add the biggest downside from what I've read is their RANGE, basically having next to none. Even my Atomic 4 god rest it's soul could take my lovely girlfriend and I to islands and back with a range of 80 miles (8 hours each way) on a tank....traveling at a whopping 4-5 knots as our tired girl was in her last days.

I really loved that motor. It was simple, it was really beat to hell and back, but it started every time. In reverse it sounded like I was torturing it, but even reverse worked. \

I know set a low bar and you'll always be happier right?

So one and all let's hear it. Advantages, disadvantages, installation woes or stories of amazing new technology, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Not sure there is much "new" on the EP front. The technology is pretty mature. It really comes down to how much you want to spend on batteries. There is a newish company that I know no more of than their website https://newportelectricboats.com/products/. They are kind of down your way.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I'll throw in my 2 cents...Electric is a clean and quiet and a wonderful power source EXCEPT for the range, batteries(cost, storage, disposal of). Same as electric cars, they are still for the most part city commuter vehicles due to range limitations and lack of a national fast charging infrastructure. Obviously there will never be a fast charging infrastructure for boats or at least not in our foreseeable future anyway. You can gain some range with solar panels but when the batteries are drained you have to get in to shore and spend the time to recharge. If you are a day sailor then electric is a viable source of auxiliary power. If you plan on overnight voyages or a couple weeks at sea unfortunately I don't think electric is there yet. Just my personal thoughts and hopefully others will weigh in to give you more technological info to chew on.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The sad day finally arrived when my Atomic 4 gave it's last gasp. With a hole in my water jacket, it must be put out to pasture and I must search the land far and wide for a new engine.

or an Electric motor

What I'd really like to get my hands on is a Omega 1, but they're some time away from being buyable.

Has anyone developed an electric motor of late that blows the competition out of the water and is affordable??

Any new battery technology out there anyone wants to share for my course towards being able to go sailing again.

I know if I'm looking for Diesel tech news there's nothing new there, and if I'm looking for Atomic 4 news, there's nothing new there either.

But electric motors are evolving quickly, and so that's why I'm curious if there is any news you've heard out there.

I should add the biggest downside from what I've read is their RANGE, basically having next to none. Even my Atomic 4 god rest it's soul could take my lovely girlfriend and I to islands and back with a range of 80 miles (8 hours each way) on a tank....traveling at a whopping 4-5 knots as our tired girl was in her last days.

I really loved that motor. It was simple, it was really beat to hell and back, but it started every time. In reverse it sounded like I was torturing it, but even reverse worked. \

So one and all let's hear it. Advantages, disadvantages, installation woes or stories of amazing new technology, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Last I heard you could source a NEW Atomic 4 from Moyer Marine. If that's still so, to me that this would be the easiest way to go and probably the cheapest. You could be back up and running in no time. Since it sounds like you otherwise liked the engine, why not go this route?

As for the explosion risk: A well-maintained A4 is not a particularly big risk. Do you currently cook with propane, as many on the forum do? That's at least as big of a risk. Plus, adding a bunch of batteries is not without fire risk either.

paul culver

Member III
Last I heard you could source a NEW Atomic 4 from Moyer Marine. If that's still so, to me that this would be the easiest way to go and probably the cheapest. You could be back up and running in no time. Since it sounds like you otherwise liked the engine, why not go this route?

I'll second Alan's suggestion. You might just need a new side plate. And Moyer says the tortured sound in reverse is normal.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I bought a 'new' A4 from Moyer Marine for $4000 in 2003 and it appeared to have had a lot of effort put into the rebuild. I did not get to test it however since it was flooded by Hurricane Ivan before I had it fully installed.

I do not however recommend Moyer Marine. After I returned the flooded engine I was sent to the desert before it could be fixed, and Don said he would send me $1500 for it but I never received it. When I got back more than a year later I sent a copy of the paperwork twice and both times he said he would look into it but never got back to me.

Years ago an owner of an E35II posted on this site his installation of an electric motor using lead acid batteries, which filled the area under the cockpit for barely any range. Now two large Lithium batteries of about 8D size would probably give a good hour of motoring time at 4-5 kts., and a lot longer if using the motor to supplement sail power under light winds. The idea is that once under sail the batteries are recharged, either with a reversible propeller or by towing a small propeller which is thrown overboard when needed thereby allowing the use of a folding / feathering propeller foe the motor.

The fickle winds off the southern California coast would necessitate careful thought about going electric since it might not be practical to motor back from the islands. When I first bought Freyja in Wilmington I got fuel for my A4 at Long Beach and then spent the first night at Dana Point. That was followed by a beautiful day of sailing to Oceanside in my new boat only to be told when I arrived at sunset that the harbour was closed due to large swells. The wind of course then died and the A4 had to take me all the way to San Diego overnight, arriving home just in time to have a shower and go straight to work - since I was starting a training course that morning I would have faced all sorts of challenges had the A4 let me down.... What days those were.

If you convert to diesel you should strictly speaking install an aluminium tank which would involve cutting access to it, although some have said that using the old steel tank has worked for them. I might be able to help you with that if you go that route.

Hydrogen seems to be one of those technologies that is always a few years away. Such prototypes as have been tested thus far have cost well into five figures.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
For range backup on a sailboat EP auxiliary carrying a portable generator like a Honda 2000i is pretty typical. In 15 years of EP on my E27 I have used it twice. Once when the original AGM's were getting a bit long in the tooth (7years?) and the range was reduced. I used the generator to get to the planned anchorage I was headed for. The second time was due to a lithium cell (one of 16 on that bank) that dropped below the battery management system's comfort zone. I used the generator to charge that cell.

Scott solberg

1987 35-3 Winthrop harbor Il

or an Electric motor

Thanks!
I have heard good things about Torqeedo
Can’t say I know much about them but might be worth a look for an ev
Scott

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
1HP = 746W, so a 15kW motor is broadly comparable to 20HP. General experience on here has been that an 18HP diesel could power the boat in calm conditions but would struggle against a swell, so a 20kW motor might be advisable particularly for going against a strong current, and that is what is recommended on the electricyacht web site.

500Ah of 12V capacity (two Lithium 8D size) discharged 75% is 375 Ah, which is 16.2MJ. Running 8kW to get out of a harbour at 6.5kts (the specification speed is probably slightly over optimistic) would equate to 34 minutes of run time, which gives a range of 3.7nm. A 2kW discharge would give two and a quarter hours of run time, and if that gives 4kts boat speed then range would be 9nm.

No machine likes to be run at 100% output for too long, so the Honda 2200i that Mark has recommended used at 75% would put out 1.65kW which would power an E35II at a less than 4kts. It weighs 47.4lbs.

The next step up generator from the same Honda series would put out 2.4kW at 75% which would power an E35 at a little more than 4kts, it weighs 59.1lbs which is still manageable on deck. Supplementing it with 2kW of battery power would give about 5kts and a range of 12.5nm.

In the situation I often experienced off San Diego Bay where there was a light breeze but the ocean swells were too strong to keep the sails full, it is possible that a small power output from the motor would increase relative wind enough to keep sailing for quite some time on batteries.

Lithium battery capacities of 300Ah are now available (although more expensive) so two such packs would extend range by the same proportion, and while two 8D batteries would take up just about all of the space next to the motor in my cabin configuration (as opposed to the motor being under the steps), further batteries could in principle be added instead of the fuel tank although access would be difficult and there would be a lot of high wattage wires which would have to be carefully secured next to the bilge.

For most purposes it sounds like electric power with a backup generator would be workable, but possibly not when you unexpectedly have to go from Oceanside to San Diego and it is vital to get there in twelve hours.

I would be interested in the thoughts of long range cruisers on its suitability.

Honda EU3200i Model Info | Super Quiet 3200 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

The Honda EU3200i generator combines power and portability. Lightweight and compact, this 3200 watt generator is the perfect portable power source for RV, tailgating, home back up, and more.
powerequipment.honda.com

https://electricyacht.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Ericson-35-3.pdf

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

chris85green

Member I
LeifThor sorry to hear your A4 has kicked the bucket. I have been keeping an eye on the systems over at thunder struck. they have full conversion kits and my hopes were to get a hold of 4 100aH batteries to get a 48V 100aH setup with the 10kW motor kit. I havent done all the math to gather range, but this paired with a solar system is my goal. Heres a link to their systems if you hadnt already seen it. Thunder Struck

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
There seems to be quite a disparity between what different web sites recommend for the size motor to replace a diesel. Perhaps an electric motor is more efficient than an A4 or diesel which never put out the rated power even when new, so the rated electric output can be less.

The real question is how much power would be needed to get out of trouble going into a strong wind, swell, and current. Based on the specifications from the electricyachts web site I posted above, which are the only ones I have been able to find, 10kW gives less than 7kts in flat water, while 15kW gets close to hull speed. Presumably the reason a 20kW motor is recommended is that it would give something in reserve both in terms of the motor not working at 100% rated output and in overcoming rough conditions. 18kW would drain two fully charged 8D 12V 250Ah batteries in 15 minutes, but that might be long enough to get out of an emergency situation.

Until some E35 owners provide some experience we can only go with such calculations.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

LeifThor

Member III
So it's looking like my Atomic 4 hasn't completely given up the ghost. A friend and I removed the head, and we found a small section of the head gasket that may be the culprit. In addition all the gaskets were sh_t, like totally sh_t.

Now that I've cleaned it up a bit, the challenge if possible is-
See if the water end of the block is sound (no water leaks)
Before (if possible) spending the $500 in gaskets, new thermostat (there was none), thermostat housing (major corrosion, water jacket plate (which also had major corrosion).

Honestly, when I decided to tear it apart to see if I could find a smoking gun for the water intrusion, seeing the condition of the interior, I was stunned it ran not only so well, but at all...Pics included.

I have no expectations either way, we'll see...

Attachments

• image_67544321.JPG
    image_67544321.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image_50457345.JPG
    image_50457345.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 19
  • image_67239425.JPG
    image_67239425.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image_67180289 (1).JPG
    image_67180289 (1).JPG
    112 KB · Views: 20
  • image_16880897.JPG
    image_16880897.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 19
  • image_67201793.JPG
    image_67201793.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 19
  • image_67206913.JPG
    image_67206913.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 19

willo

Member II
Thunderbolt EV's will give you a nice estimate of a system. You don't have to use their battery option.
I did a bunch of research as a backup plan for my 46, but I've revived my beta 50 so I'm not worried about going electric for some time.