• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Jib etc. halyard masthead exit sheaves.

Steve Jerromes

Hello,
I have a 1986 E-28-2 in Oceanside CA. The mast has a forestay/furler attachment plus three sheaves. The lower one just broke and disappeared inside the mast, so I was able to move the jib halyard up to the next one. There is one more above the forestay that has the genniker halyard as the po moved it there from the masthead as that one had broken and dropped inside the mast also. So, My question is, has anyone ever replaced the whole setup/cassette without lowering the mast? It is riveted so would require some grinding out of the rivets. And, where could I get another set up to replace this one (used even)? Unfortunately the parts are welded into the box and cannot be removed. The genniker/spinnaker block at the top of the mast cannot be removed either as the cap is welded to the mast. Maybe I need to go with external halyard for a masthead genniker?
I welcome any opinions and suggestions.
Cheers,
Steve

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Is your mast a Kenyon? If so, are you looking to replace the halyard assembly? Perhaps something like this?PICT0159.JPGPICT0160.JPGPICT0161.JPG

Last edited:

Steve Jerromes

Gosh, that looks very much like it. I'll check what make it is this week. If you're selling it, how much please? I'm not up to spending the money for mast removal right now, but I'll ask a rigger about on board removal and instal.
Thanks for your reply!

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Since this part is no longer manufactured, I'd have to get a pretty penny for it. An alternative for you would be to purchase the sheave rebuild kit (K-106585K) from RigRite and have your rigger rehab the jib box you have. The jib box I have has one unused frozen sheave that I haven't attempted to free up. The rest of the six sheaves spin freely.

Steve Jerromes

Ok, I understand. Thanks for the part number from Rigrite, I'll check it out and get with my mast climber and see if he's up to it.
Steve