• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

jib halyard jammed in mast

SeaRogue

Member II
I tried to lower my jib and found that the jib halyard is jammed. It is a roller furling arrangement and this is the first time that I have attempted to lower the jib in the year that I have owned the boat.

The sheave at the masthead turns freely and there is a bit of slack in the wire portion of the halyard at the sheave. Attempting to pull the halyard down to the lower the jib resulted in no movement. Attempting to pull the halyard down at the mast, to raise the jib....produced groans from the mast and a grudinging giving up of a couple of inches of movement.

I am perplexed. There is no understandable reason for this jam. I thought that the sheave must be jammed until a friend went aloft to inspect it.

Can anyone provide insight into this problem?

Emerald

Are your halyards internal? I have had internal halyards hang on each other before. If they are internal, try running one of the other halyards up and down some while working the jib halyard and see if it binds more or less, you get some movement etc. It sounds like a friend went up to the mast head to inspect the sheave. It might be worth another trip up and releasing the jib from the shackle and letting it slide down the foil, and then attach a pennant to the shackle on the halyard so you can then stand on deck and try working it back and forth a bit. This is all going on the thought it's hung up inside the mast on something else internal. Hope this helps getting something going.

SeaRogue

Member II
thanks

David,

Thanks for that advice. IYes, the halyards are internal. I will try moving the other halyards inside the mast. I have done as you suggested in attaching a line to the halyard shackle and trying to pull in out using a winch. It will come out a few inches, each inch or so of give results in a groan inside the mast.

SeaRogue

Member II
solved

Actually, it was not jammed in the mast at all. The roller furling ferrule was jammed and preventing movement of halyard. A little grease freed it. I am happy not to have to drop the mast.