• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Keel bolt torque

Lawdog

Member III
Does anyone know the torque values for the keel bolts for a 1983 Ericson 38 with deep keel? I just had the keel bolts redone by Marskeel/Marsmetal, in Toronto. It took them about 3 weeks and the job came out excellent and under $4K US. They also faired the keel. The Keel on my 38 had never been removed or checked by PO. I have tightened the bolts in the past. However, over the last few years, I have noticed that there was always about 3 to 4 inches of water in the bilge after about 5 days, more when I sailed in heavy seas and wind, and I would find 5 to 6 inches (deep) in the bilge after sailing all day. I have a bunch of pictures which I will post after I download to my hard drive.
Neal

Lawdog

Member III
Here are pictures after and before

Attachments

• ECBDBFAA-C944-421D-B441-9DD049FBDCDA.jpg
    ECBDBFAA-C944-421D-B441-9DD049FBDCDA.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 5CB8E573-719A-4F33-A2E4-786F60412C8F.jpg
    5CB8E573-719A-4F33-A2E4-786F60412C8F.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 43
L

Leslie Newman

Would love to know what they did exactly. Any pictures of the work?

Thaddeus

Member II
Is there a rule of thumb when this keel preventive maintenance work should be done? What size socket do I need to tighten the bolts? This will help me from taking two trips before I have the right one. Also , I noticed that my bolts had or have a large black rubber washer that has mostly has disintegrated. Is this cause for alarm?
Thanks,
Tom
87 E34-2

CSMcKillip

Just went thru this on my 33RH. I think the bolts and nut size variy by boat but I can tell you 1-1/8” is the socket size for my boat. I ended up having to get a special socket with a greater depth 6” to be exact due to the ones at sears and all other part stores were way too short for one of my bolts that extend 3-1/2” past the nut...

after much reading and somewhat of a personal debate debate with myself I chose 3m 5200. Next year I am dropping the full keel and next year I will seal everything with 3m4200 as a sealant, not 5200 as an attachment adheasive.... live and learn.

i torqued to 175lbs and have read some going to 225.

RHenegar

Member I
A few years back I had to do some work on my E32 keel bolt. Somewhere I got 350 lbft of torque on my boat. Surprised the Markeel couldnt tell you.