• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Keel bolts on 1989 Ericson 32-3

BC04

I just bought a Ericson 32-3.I hauled the boat for the season. Im planning to check the tourque on the keel bolts but I cant find the forward keel boats, and assume they must be under the mast. I have not been able to find any location of the spec sheet, owners manual ect. Anyone know for sure. I was not planning to take the mast down this season, but I would like to verify the location.. Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just bought a Ericson 32-3.I hauled the boat for the season. Im planning to check the tourque on the keel bolts but I cant find the forward keel boats, and assume they must be under the mast. I have not been able to find any location of the spec sheet, owners manual ect. Anyone know for sure. I was not planning to take the mast down this season, but I would like to verify the location.. Thanks

If you find any (!) seepage of water around around any (!) of those nuts, do not assume that just tightening it will cure all ills.
There were a lot of EY constructed boats in the mid-late 80's that developed leaks around the bolts due to someone not removing all of the mold-release wax from that area during assembly.
Our boat was one such. In 2002 we had the keel dropped and re-bedded, finding only some light rusty discoloration on the threads. Others have found serious deterioration of the threaded rods. There are several discussion threads on this site with descriptions and pictures.

Re-bedding with new sealant (or epoxy, as one of the owners recommended) is the answer, after, of course, a thorough cleaning of the joining interface.

Another sister ship owner will have to tell your where to locate those elusive nuts, however.
:)

Loren

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are seven.

1. Just forward of the mast base is a one-inch hole in the white glass sole. Under it, six inches down, is a keelbolt that's impossible to see. I think access to it is through a side-cutout in the locker beneath the banquette. I have a rather ragged factory square hole there, for which this is the most likely explanation. A flashlight reveals a bolt.

2. One bolt in Bilge aft of the mast.

3. Two bolts in deepest bilge, upon which the bilge pump sits.

4. Two bolts in the next bilge aft, from which the manual (Whale) bilge pump draws.

5 One (smaller) bolt in most-aft bilge, under the companionway ladder. On my boat this is partially covered in tabbing, or other factory sealant, and is hard to identify.

When you haul the boat, keep some water in the bilge. Arrange to leave it in the sling for a while. See it the keel joint weeps.

Any attempt to tighten the keelbolts would have to be in the cradle. I suppose it is possible, but for me that would be a boatyard job.

BC04

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I'm crawling around trying to learn all I can. I'll look for the elusive bolt I have no seepage but I did figure dropping the keel in my offer. The bolts I saw all look good from above. I have a wing keel and will have the yard do all the inspection and any repairs. hopefully the keel bolts are ok. I saw no seepage nor rust anywhere

rbaron

Member I
Ericson 38 keel drop

We spent over 3 K on dropping and then refastening the keel bolts on our 89 Ericson 38-200. This work was done in CA. Prompted by leakage.

lnill

Member III
I have been contemplating dropping the keel on our 38-200. If I were to do so, I think that would be a good time to change out the chain plates since would already have the mast down. However a preliminary talk with my boat yard gave me the sense that this would be a LOT of $. Would love to hear some other quotes.....especially how many hours of labor are involved. I would be ok with $3000-4000 to unstep, drop and re bed the keel, and step. My yard will be $600 plus storage just for the mast.
Lee

BC04

Price

I'll keep you posted. I was thinking of dropping the mast anyway to inspect the rigging ect. The boat was in the water and I didn't drop the mast when I hauled it for the survey. I have not found the keel bolt under the mast or assessed if it accessible without unstepping the mast. I'll keep you posted. I don't want the bolts to deteriorate. I guess when the designers came up with this bolt on idea, "Forever"was 30 years.. I'm thinking of doing it proactively and get it over with. Its seems likely it will be an issue eventually

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Chain Plate" trivia

I have been contemplating dropping the keel on our 38-200. If I were to do so, I think that would be a good time to change out the chain plates since would already have the mast down. However a preliminary talk with my boat yard gave me the sense that this would be a LOT of $. Would love to hear some other quotes.....especially how many hours of labor are involved. I would be ok with $3000-4000 to unstep, drop and re bed the keel, and step. My yard will be $600 plus storage just for the mast.
Lee

There is a lot of good information in this priev. thread about the thru-deck U bolts, and their "care and feeding".....

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...12947-E38-Chainplate-U-Bolts-and-Replacements

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
attachment.php

Check also the shroud T-bolts. I found one with a hidden crack a few years ago.

More on this: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...ing-Inspection-T-Bolt-Issue&p=81641#post81641

Attachments

• Thelonious T-bolt crack replaced 2013.jpg
    Thelonious T-bolt crack replaced 2013.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 899