• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Keel Bolts on E34-2

Lynn

Member I
Could someone tell me how many there are in this model, and if are they all easily accessible? Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You may click on the 'Edit' button below your text and update your post. Also change the title. While the bolts are easy to get at on my model, I do not know enough about the 34. Suspect that they are... like our boat you lift up the access plates in the T&H sole.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
On my 87 E34, all of the keel bolts are visible save one under the starboard side of the galley. I can feel it with my hand so when I asked the yard (last haulout) to check the keel bolts, they said all were OK, maybe a few needed a 1/8 turn. So I suspect they used a (crow foot) wrench or socket with a angle attachment. All the bolts are one inch with the exception of the aft most (where the keel tapers to an edge) which is the next size down.

Lynn

Member I
Thank you Loren and Herbert. That is very helpful to know.
I have seen images of 4 so far and am thinking that is not very many in total. The hidden one under the galley would make 5. I want to do a visual inspection on all of them for the boat I am considering.
How many bolts do you have all together Herbert?

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I am not able to get to my boat with this present "madness" so I am only going by memory. But I think there are 4 bolts under the galley, one in back of the mast step and one in the shower bilge. The one in the shower bilge is the smaller bolt, all the rest are one inch bolts (so the nuts are of course larger). But again, only from memory.

Lynn

Member I
I guess that would make 6 then... (thanks for your guesswork Herbert, given the awkwardness of the current situation. I wish I could get my hands on an owners manual! No luck so far on any of my searches... don't even know if this info would even be included in the manual... made somebody knows?...
Interesting too know that there is a keel bolt in the shower bilge! Think we missed that one.
Thanks Herbert!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
There's two in front of the mast, two aft of the mast, and four under the galley area, All are 3/4". There is one in the shower pan area 5/8" on my 34.

Lynn

Member I
Thanks Bob. That number makes a lot more sense to me. Now I can get the missing photos I need to see for 'visual' inspection prior to making an offer.

gc_sailor

Rule of Thumb, Electric E34-2
The manual says 12. See attached page,.

Attachments

• e34-2_manual p14.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 23

Lynn

Member I
HUGE thank you gcsailor! Btw, are you also an E34 owner?

Now back to the detective work it seems...
With everyone's help so far, I have learned the location of 9 bolts...
This leads me to suspect that the remaining bolts are in difficult to inspect locations...

I wonder where they are... ???
3 to go!!! Any leads out there?

PS - I have been trying to get a full copy of the Owner's Manual - would it be a lot to ask to get a copy from you?
(I noticed that they are listed under this website's Resources, but I cannot figure out how to open up or download.)

thank you.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Seeing as I didn't seem to remember the exact number of keel bolts (advanced old age), I went down today and counted. There is one ahead of the mast, two just aft of the mast, four under the dinette settee. three under the galley sink, and one under a hatch just aft of the galley. They ate all 1" except the last one which is 3/4" All are fully accessible and the full length of the keel base can be inspected. That's eleven total. All are 1" except the one behind the galley. It is 3/4".

I took pics with my I phone but I am still new to using it so I will have to try to get them to email if you would like to view them.

Lynn

Member I
Feel a bit like a dog with a bone on this... if manual states 12, down to the one mystery bolt it seems!

Thanks a lot for Bob - yes, would be great to see the photos you took.

Lynn

Member I
From everyone's great input, it seems that the difference of 11 or 12 keel bolts may come down to the model:
E34 - 11 bolts
E34-2 - 12 bolts
Egregerson - that diagram is great - is it from the Owners Manual of the E34?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Are there recommended torque values for keel bolts on any of our boats? I own a E32-3 not a 34. Does anyone ever check the bolts with a torque wrench?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
the 34-2 is commonly referred to as the 34. The earlier models are almost non-existent. We are all referring to the 34-2 here. I believe the 35-3 has a different bolt pattern.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
the 34-2 is commonly referred to as the 34. The earlier models are almost non-existent. We are all referring to the 34-2 here. I believe the 35-3 has a different bolt pattern.

I agree with Bob. The 1980s boats are "E-34"s. No -2 or -200. The older E-34R and E-34T are IOR boats and completely different.

A pet peeve.