• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

keel: cause for concern?

cooper999

Member II
IMG_9366.jpg

Hey all,

Our boat is on the hard to get a few things done, one of them being fresh bottom paint. Shortly after the yard finished painting, I visited her to have a look, and noticed the attached (drip down from the keel-hull joint). There isn't a similar drip on the other side, but I'm not so much liking the look of this.

How major a cause for concern is this? The PO allegedly rebedded the keel a few years ago (3-5, not 15-20). Any insight is as always appreciated.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it's still on the hard, I'd complain to the yard that "you rooned my paint!". At least that will cause them to look at it, and give you an opinion.

Usually painting includes prep of the keel joint, which is not usually a big deal. Loose bedding can trap water. This may be nothing to worry about at all.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
But Christian, wouldn't you be thinking about re-torking the keel bolts, or perhaps even rebedding the keel? I'm assuming that's water running out of the keel, and if so, it looks like a fair amount got in there.
Frank

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
If it were my boat, I'd hop on board and dump a bucket or two of water in the bilge. If I saw it leaking out, I would think about investigating further.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
... thinking about re-torking the keel bolts, or perhaps even rebedding the keel?Frank

When Makana was hauled for her survey, there was a similar amount of water leaking from the forward end of the keel-hull joint on the port side. I asked the surveyor about it, he said it wasn't a cause for concern... that any old sealant should be hogged out with a pointed tool, and the joint filled with a polysufide sealant.

Had her hauled out a few months later for a bottom job, similar amount of water. both the yard (and, I called the surveyor again) said not to worry, pretty normal. So I had them do as he recommended...

Along the way, I asked if the bolts should be tightened and the surveyor - who actually knew the boat fairly well - recommended that the yard check the torque on the bolts while the boat was sitting on the keel. IIRC he recommended something like 50 ft-lbs (I'd have to check my notes) which didn't seem like much, until I saw the yard guys "checking" with a 3-foot-long torque wrench). They "tested" all but the one in front of the mast step, and none of the nuts moved. So surveyor said to leave 'em alone, that in his experience over-tightening them could cause more problems than it fixed.

Just one datapoint, but... there you go.

Last edited:

cooper999

Member II
I went ahead and discussed with the yard, and they are going to check torque on the nuts as a first step to see what's up. I don't believe that the water would be coming from the bilge, as unless it rains, our bilge stays dry.

cooper999

Member II
Epilogue: the yard retorqued the bolts and resealed/refaired the joint. FINALLY splashed Friday after a month on the hard.

pdjmontgomery

Keel bolts

Hi,

I seem to have a similar problem. Do you know exactly what the torque was for the Keel bolts? I have a torque wrench and can do it myself.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi,

I seem to have a similar problem. Do you know exactly what the torque was for the Keel bolts? I have a torque wrench and can do it myself.

A quick web search finds some narrative regarding C&C keel bolts, and it looks like you want to get to around 250 foot pounds or more. That's hard to do. Probably also need a 3/4 socket drive, minimum, and a deep-set socket.

I recall that when we had our keel re-bedded, the yard guys commented that they used a 3 or 4 foot bar and gave it about all they could, based on their experience with other keels. I do not know if they used a torque wrench. What size are the bolts? 3/4? 1 inch?

There are some threads on this site about keel bolt maintenance.

One bit of unsolicited advice: if you have any (!) evidence of water getting in, have the keel dropped and re-bedded. Excuse the reverse description -- actually they brace up the keel and Raise your boat with the travelift. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

SurfingGuru

A quick web search finds some narrative regarding C&C keel bolts, and it looks like you want to get to around 250 foot pounds or more. That's hard to do. Probably also need a 3/4 socket drive, minimum, and a deep-set socket.

I recall that when we had our keel re-bedded, the yard guys commented that they used a 3 or 4 foot bar and gave it about all they could, based on their experience with other keels. I do not know if they used a torque wrench. What size are the bolts? 3/4? 1 inch?

There are some threads on this site about keel bolt maintenance.

One bit of unsolicited advice: if you have any (!) evidence of water getting in, have the keel dropped and re-bedded. Excuse the reverse description -- actually they brace up the keel and Raise your boat with the travelift. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren
I recently had my keel bolts tightened. The boat yard mechanic had a setup that multiplied the torque using a smaller bar. Several of the bolts were fairly loose.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I recently had my keel bolts tightened. The boat yard mechanic had a setup that multiplied the torque using a smaller bar. Several of the bolts were fairly loose.
So, what size boat, what size bolts, and what did they torque them to?