• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

knot meter removal

phil bennett

1983 E-33RH. i've got no reading on kph instruments and think it's a clogged impeller. I've not removed it with the boat in t
he water. how do you do it?

Shankara

Member II

I’ve done it this way. Although I did have my free hand over the geyser to keep the overflow down low. Towels help.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I clear mine twice a year from outside the boat with just a snorkel mask and gloves. Just keep chipping (lightly) and pulling the growth away until the wheel spins freely.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
so use a standard wooden universal plug
If it is a plastic thru-hull I would be concerned about breaking it with a wood plug. How about using a sponge tightly stuffed in there to slow the water down? I think you can get spongy thru-hull plugs too.

dcoyle

Member III
Can you buy a plug from manufacturer? In my E33 there is a rubber flap inside the thru hull so when the transducer is removed the flap acts as a dam and restricts water flow.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
1983 E-33RH. i've got no reading on kph instruments and think it's a clogged impeller. I've not removed it with the boat in t
he water. how do you do it?
Phil, you might ask the former owner, before the most resent owner. He might recall where the plug was last stored. That impeller might have some slime or weed clogging it.
Contact me off line, for details if needed. He's listed in your club yearbook.

Loren

peaman

Sustaining Member
so use a standard wooden universal plug?
I've used a wooden plug with no problem. Insert with a twist, and don't force it too hard, and it should stay in place, perhaps with minor leaking. Of course, you shouldn't leave it unattended, unless you can secure the plug positively. I've since replaced my transducer and the new one included a "dummy plug" for this purpose.

hjohnson

S/V Sagres
A trick that often works with mine is to just back it off ever so slightly and rotate it 90 degrees (or 180 degrees) while underway and probably 75% of the time, that clears it up.