• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Knotmeter Transducer,over where?

JORGE

Member III
The E32-2 I own has a Signet knotmeter transducer, on the port under the sette seat near the forward bulkhead.
I've read an article that states the transducer should actually be about 1/3 forward of the keel. Does anyone know if "this" is a better location. I would have to bore a new hole in moving it forward and close up the older hole. Any good ideas E guys? :confused:

chrism

Inactive Member
Those things are so moody with sea weed and such, I'd just leave it where it is and get readings off your GPS. I'm also guessing it's easier to access now?

Each year it gets jammed with seaweed or mussels.

-Chris

Joe Benedict

Member II
Owners' Manual

The MK 75/95 Knotlog Owners' Manual states "[t]he paddle wheel transducer should be installed forward of the keel in an area of minimum turbulence (i.e. free from protruding fittings) as close to the centerline as is possible." The accomanying "ideal location" shows it to be just forward of the keel which on my E29 is where a bilge access was installed by Ericson. Any further forward would place it out of the water a lot in a moderate sea. The manual further states under calibration that "variations caused by hull configuration and sensor location may cause an error of up to 25%" As Chris (from my homeland) suggests, a GPS is more accurate not only due to fouling but because the knotmeter is the speed through water. Comparing my knotlog to a my GPS produced a mixed bag of results with the most interesting being the diference between port and starboard tacks when close hauled. The meter does keep the crew occupied, produces an instant "relative speed" and is large enough to be glanced at when trying to keep minimum headway when docking. As they say, if it's not broke, don't fix it.