• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

LA Shutdown

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hey Christian, Now that Calif has shut everyone down and no one is allowed to leave home, I noticed that the beaches are packed. I take it that the Calif Government is not much listened to. Shouldn't be surprised as Calif has attempted to regulate absolutely everything much to the resentment of many. Are you going out and enjoying everything like maybe 10 miles offshore?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Californians are not so different if they are gathering, without thought, in large and close groups.
(sigh)
This last weekend, the small towns along the Oregon and Washington coasts were invaded by groups of visitors from inland, seemingly determined to spread a potential virus. Local towns were aghast, and finally closed their towns up, as much as legally possible, and told all visitors to leave immediately. They told local motels and rental housing units to close.

They have way less medical facilities than the larger cities. I do not blame them for reacting to this as the health threat that it is. Trouble is, the younger visitors are either ignorant or perhaps nihilistic.

That, and there's the general belief of youth of invulnerability. And, likely that was the idiot wisdom that got so many of my peers killed and wounded in 'The Nam'.... kids make great soldiers.
Dumb Luck saved me -- never got sent "in country". I recall that fear of death was kind of an intellectual exercise when I was in my 20's. Not so much now. :(
Odds are, currently, that about 98% of those infected will survive. I try not to obsess about the 2%, or my possible inclusion in that little statistical grouping.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nobody on the beaches around here--anyway, it's been raining hard for days. Governor enlisting strict measures and Mayor too. All businessess closed and streets empty. LA county population 10 million, about 500 cases.

The virus of California bashing, however, appears to remain uncontained.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Nobody on the beaches around here--anyway, it's been raining hard for days. Governor enlisting strict measures and Mayor too. All businessess closed and streets empty. LA county population 10 million, about 500 cases.

The virus of California bashing, however, appears to remain uncontained.
Same thought occurred to me. Who would be at the beach in this weather? I'm waiting for it to clear so I can go sailing!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hmm, The papers and net here are full of stories about people flooding the beaches there. Perhaps we also have a journalism problem? Of course the young are blind and immortal! That's why the Army wanted 18 year old chopper pilots! Too dumb still to realize they can die doing the stupid things chopper pilots do in wartime.

I was a lifetime California resident. I had my own business for 40 years. In the early years I loved it. 40 years later, I was screaming at the State. When my locality started requiring permits to paint your house, I packed up and left. I had 5 vehicles 3 trailers and a boat when I left. I dutifully had the titles changed to the new State and sent copies to the DMV. A year of harassment from the DMV followed on each vehicle. I finally wrote the Governor and got a stupid answer. They threatened to repossess everything. I finally told them to go to h***. The DMV has to be at the top of nightmare agencies in the world. I am still hearing nightmare stories from people who have recently left the State. Things are so much better up here. There are reasons people bash Calif but the weather is not one of them.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmm, The papers and net here are full of stories about people flooding the beaches there. Perhaps we also have a journalism problem? Of course the young are blind and immortal!

Not from the Sunday video's on the telly. Way way too many people milling around in close proximity on the beaches.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
These maps are kind of an interesting set of objective data. County-by-county measurement of population movements, based on cell phone data. The data end on Friday though.

Up until today, I saw no reduction in traffic buzzing up and down the county road (especially Porsches, Teslas, and Harleys) but maybe less today. I did stay home all weekend, but the hiking trails that I can see from my home were packed all weekend, from 0900 to dark. Really, if people want to be in big crowds like that, I don't understand why they just don't stay in Portland.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
These maps are kind of an interesting set of objective data. County-by-county measurement of population movements, based on cell phone data. The data end on Friday though.

Up until today, I saw no reduction in traffic buzzing up and down the county road (especially Porsches, Teslas, and Harleys) but maybe less today. I did stay home all weekend, but the hiking trails that I can see from my home were packed all weekend, from 0900 to dark. Really, if people want to be in big crowds like that, I don't understand why they just don't stay in Portland.
Interesting, Todd.

Out here I also am finding the CalTrans CCTV map pretty interesting as well. The freeways are sparsely traveled (by California standards, at least.) Here's one of the cams along the route I would take to get to my boat; it's a location that is usually fairly clogged. This is the overall CalTrans map, if you're interested.

Of course, Google Maps shows what the travel times look like. But the CalTrans cams are kind of fun to look at because you can see what is actually happening out there.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Agreed. It was fun while it lasted.
For you Puget Sound sailors. The sands are shifting rapidly. Some marinas are talking of shutting down. One is going to tow a log boom across it's entrance. Many are curtailing the hours and making the fuel dock by appointment only. None are friendly to transients. If you plan to overnight/ cruise, call ahead to be sure you are welcome. Rude surprises can easily happen and should be avoided by calling ahead.

It would be a hard time to be a cruiser now although hanging on the hook in a remote anchorage sure sounds good.