• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leak affecting cabin sole

vbenn

Member III
The cabin sole of my 1997 E380 has been absorbing water in the area in front of the wet locker. A blackened area now extends from the head to the nav table and the area in front of the wet locker is now soft, spongy, and squishy. I have tried to trace the leak to the stanchions or track installed on the toe rail but find no evidence. I believe that water is collecting and getting trapped under the cabin sole since the boat is now listing slightly to starboard. Obviously, I need to remove/replace the cabin sole but that will not address the source of the leak.

Has anyone else had this problem or can advise on where the leak may originate? Other potential sources include the head or shower plumbing, but I won't be able to check until the cabin sole is removed.

Also, shouldn't there be some type of drain channel in the TAFG allowing water to pass thru to the bilge?

I can't understand why PSC would not have epoxied the bottom and edges of the cabin sole or provided drainage within the TAFG!!

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
1997 E380 #22

e38 owner

Member III
some ideas

I do not have 380 put a 38. We found the shower leaks and by pulling out some drawers we found where water was accumulating.
Now I always leave the bilge boards open when we leave the boat.
Our tafg has drain plugs
Other leaks that have occured over the years include fresh water lines running onder the floor.

dwigle

Member III
We had issues with water in the TAFG also. There are drains, just not effective ones. Most of our problem was from the hull to deck joint leaking under the rub rail and working its way down. While a new sole would have been nice, I made ours reasonably presentable again by setting the boards out in the warm, 90-100 degree, central California sun for a few days taking care not to dislodge the layers of plywood. Then using boards and clamps to apply an even pressure, I epoxied the layers back together.

Good luck,

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
Pt Richmond , CA
E38 #8