• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leak at Steering Pedestal

hiflight

I recently discovered water leaking into the aft cabin through the cockpit sole where the pedestal is mounted. I happened to have the inside cabin cover off while checking the steering cables and found the leak. Lucky for that or I don't know how long it would have gone on,
I plan to loosen the four large bolts for the pedestal (only loosen to the limit of the threads), then, above, rock the pedestal to be able to insert shims, for spacing. Then I will apply silicone sealant, and let it cure. After that, I can remove the shims, let the pedestal back down and retighten the four bolts, and trim off the excess.
Has anyone done this and is that a workable plan? Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My boat was probably constructed by the same crew as was yours. :)
Copious amounts of 5200 sealant was used. The base of the pedestal and also the SS guard is legendary for allowing moisture to rot out the coring under cockpits in all kinds of boats, from builders high and low.
We found that ours were still sealed, and consider ourselves lucky. EY did a good job in assembly, but people do push and pull on the steering stuff all of the time, and attachments can loosen enough to allow some water in.

After removing these big parts, I have over-drilled, epoxy filled, and re-drilled for all those holes. The four bolts that hold the base of the pedestal are large, maybe about a half inch. The cockpit coring under the whole aft section of sole is plywood.

Taking the pedestal off does required temporary removal of the steering and engine control cables, and is a bit tedious. Take a LOT of photos of every part, from on top and underneath Make pencil sketches, and label everything. I hired a ship wright for this part, and am not ashamed to say so...

As for sealant, I would use a modified urethane product, like 4200, or LifeSeal, and not pure silicone. I imagine that my completely-fix-it-once-and-done approach may not be welcome, but I have seen lot of spongy cockpit floors/soles over the decades, and it becomes much more expensive and serious if left unchecked.

Attachments

• Steering Base, drilled and filled.JPG
    Steering Base, drilled and filled.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
To jack the pedestal up you'll probably have to loosen the control cables at the quadrant. No big deal.

Please put your boat in the signature line so responders know if their knowledge applies.

Here are useful guides to the setup. Note the links to the original manuals:

67rway

Member II
I recently had my pedestal out for refinishing and a guard change, and doubt I could have lifted it without having the bolts all the way out. It took a fair amount of heat and leverage to break it loose.

Hopefully yours is easier.

CTOlsen

Member III
I found a leaker in the aft quarterberth as well. After many hours searching, thinking that it HAD to be the pedestal, I found it was actually via the emergency tiller threaded plate at the deck. The O-34 (Wheel steering) has a threaded 4" bronze plate on the deck to access the rudder shaft with an emergency tiller. The leak path went through the plate threads, along the opening below, dripped onto the quadrant cabling, and ran into the quarterberth. It has been there for a long time, and caused some damage to the aft bulkhead. I don't know if your set up is similar, but thought I would share my experience.