• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leaking E25

adamd

Member II
The last time I went to my boat, I had water in the bilge, Water on my port side counter, water on the port shelf behind the settee and water in the stowage lockers under the settee ( a lot!!! )

So I've been doing a bit of investigation as to when my boat is leaking.
I thougt maybe it was leaking when I was sailing, so last Saturday I drained the bilge. Pumped out the water from the settee lockers. The forward part of the bilge had a bit of water in it, so I left it.
Went for a 2 hr sail, came back and there was a bit of water in the bilge but the front part had drained it self and I figure it was just that.

I notice when my Fiance was washing it with a hose, water was coming in not from under the windows, but under the trim / flange (for lack of a better word) and it let in water it's entire length.
This is only on the port side, the starb side is fine.

Where could it be letting water in like that?
  • The grab rails are loose and have a little green moss growing around where they attach to the deck
  • The windows?
  • I should also mention I tore a hole in the deck as a stanchoin was loose and there was a big of deck rot. I covered it with plastic and goop'd it temporarily.
  • The deck rail?
Thanks in advance!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Not sure if your E-25 has the shrouds in the same place as my E-27 but I had the same problem. I also thought it was coming in through the windows, eventually I found out it was coming in through where the shrouds go through the deck into the chain plates. I pried up the stainless steel plates at the base of the shrouds and re bedded them. It stopped the leaks. You can inspect the chain plates for leaks and rust by removing the panels below the windows and port lights.

The water was trickling down along the inside of the deck hull joint and then down below the windows. I never found water under the settees though.

Just a tip, when I suspect a leak it can't hurt to taste the bilge water to see if it's salty. That will eliminate the suspicion of a leaking through hull, packing gland or worse.

adamd

Member II
Oh, I didn't know I could remove that wood panel to access the base, that's really good news!

I'm on the st lawrence seaway ( fresh water ) so the salty trick probably wont work ;)

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I'm on a st lawrence seaway ( fresh water ) so the salty trick probably wont work ;)[/QUOTE]

Probably not. :p

VolvoEricson

Adam- Rebed the handrails, odds are this is your issue. When you get the time go at the windows, but enjoy sailing your boat first!! The windows are a pain in the ass. Rob Hessenius

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
discovered my shroud base was leaking too

on the starboard side as well. Wasn't, then suddenly was. Same deal. Pry up the plate and seal that puppy up...problem solved. One of many problems...but at least a solved one.

adamd

Member II
Is it as simple as removing the rails, applying a bit of 3m sealant on the bottom and on the screws and re attaching the rails?

adamd

Member II
It may only be a 1 person job, I think the only bolts that penetrate are for the winch. I think those are just screwed in, but I may be wrong :)

Maybe I'll drill em through.

adamd

Member II
I did the hose test this weekend with the caps for the handrails off and water was gushing in.

I decided to completely remove the handrails. The port side rail was rotted and not repairable. The starboard side was ok, but needed to be refinished. I saw the local boat store has some, I may go the route of new teak rails, they`re not that expensive. 50 bucks for 60ìnch ones. The OEM were 78inch though.. I filled the holes with epoxy so I`ll need to redrill regardless.

I also have a significant amount of deck rot on the port side, I cut out a hole the size of a magazine right near the most aft window. The deck rot was because the stanchion wasn`t secured and was leaking for a while it seems.
I filled the hole with Bondo-Glass.. no, this isn`t bondo. It`s a waterproof fiberglass filler that is gaining some popularity. It`s not too bad to work with, bondo is easier to work with but from my research is not water proof. This is what I`m talking about if you`re interested.... http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6102

The repair seems solid a lot less flex in that area, Now I just need to know what type of paint to use.