• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leaking E27 Port

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
p2.jpgp1.jpg
I know that this topic has been beat into submission! My ports are leaking again. This time it's the 40 year old seals around the glass.
Visited a few glass shops for the material - Fail. Everything these days I'm told comes in kits! The few stores I visited have little of no bulk stock. Looked at my neighbors Catalina 25 and the ports looked the same. So I ordered the kit from Catalina direct http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1055&ParentCat=376. Perfect fit!
No more leaks - pulling the new main at first rain - ready for winter!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Good to know. My recent rebedding of deck hardware failed to slow down the mystery leak coming out of the stbd chase into the quarterberth. Next up is another look at the windows...
Although the glass in some of mine is becoming opaque with haze and might stand to be replaced as well.

In fact, I probably ought to order that just on general principles...

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Window Glass

Toddster,
Yep - same leak! Over and over - a puddle at the back of the quarter berth. Last year it was the handrail (rear) through bolt leaking. Then, the through bolts on the traveler stands on that side. And prior to that, a leak around the window flange. I hope I got it fixed this time - but you never know. As for hazy glass, I applied self-sticking, removable window film on the ports this summer. Nice! Keeps it a lot cooler inside and blocks 90% UV. Cost was low, was somewhat easy to apply. Best. It is removable. Got the film at TAP plastics.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Grant, how much of the material did you use for the E27? I've got two more (small) ports to cover - I wonder if I should get the next bigger kit for another $50.
Also thinking that I should replace the little sliding port in the head with a fixed pane.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Todd,
I did all six windows. Four large and two small (one opening port) with single kit. The kit includes the seal around the glass and the rubber trim that caps the frame on the interior side of the port. It really makes the inside look new!

I had enough left-over material to do about 1 and 1/2 of the larger ports. You should be fine to cover two additional small ports. I am keeping the extra material because I have a few flaws in my installation (more on that below).

p4.jpg
The opening port
Only has a seal around the stationary glass. I used a small piece of the inside rubber trim to cap the frame on the outside of the opening half of the port. You will need to cut the width down to about 3/4 to fit. This was done to replace the original cap which is smaller. It looks original after cutting.

I deviated from the instructions - I did not use the supplied sealant. I assembled the windows without any sealant at all. Reasons... I wanted to avoid the mess and two, the original seals that I removed had no sealant on them. If things start to leak, I can always take it apart and add the sealant. So far I have tested heavily with a hose and all remains dry.

Installation Flaw: On two of my ports the seal lifted away from the glass around the tight radius. It is difficult to assemble the two halves of the frame, hold the seal in place, and watch both inside and outside for pinching and binding. Solution... apply soapy water to the outer surfaces of the seal at assembly. This worked well. I sprayed the lifted areas with a hose and they do not leak so it's OK for now.

Hope this help and good luck with your installation.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Thanks. CatalinaDirect does seem to be fairly generous with the yard goods. I bought their C27 rub-rail insert and had about 12 feet left over.
I was considering using butyl tape instead of silicone for the frame sealant, but maybe not. I am getting a few drips from some of the windows that should be fixed with the new gaskets, but the big leak into the liner (and then into the q-berth) could only come from between the frame and the cabin-side.
Unless it's something completely different that I haven't found yet.

celtic sea

Member III
Great info!
I'm going to pick up some and do my windows this spring.
They leak! Go figure.
John
Celtic Sea
1973 E27

Philip

Member I
u channel seal

There are some older threads that give the specifications for this glazing channel. It was suggested to special order it from Home Depot. I tried-- and they ordered the size they normally carry-- which does not work. My mistake for not checking before I opened the box. I now have 100 yards of too narrow glazing.

I did locate the correct size through a local glass shop. They had to order it in again a full box -- stocked in Seattle. Ran about $60 for the box (100 yards again I believe). Needles to say-- I have way more than I will ever use. Hit me up and I can ship you some. :egrin: Would appreciate being reimbursed for shipping and maybe a couple of bucks.
Next time I am at the boat I will try and post the manufacture and part # off the box.

Philip
High Noon E27-Portland Oregon

Gives the appearance of the port leaking

I also have 1 port that leaks, or at least it has the appearance that it is leaking, but now I wonder if that water is just a distraction from the real source of the leak?
The previous owner told me of the port leaking. He said he took it apart twice to try to fix it, and finally had the boat yard fix it. It has new gaskets and has been professionally repaired but the p o reports still leaking. At the first rain since I’ve owned it, indeed it is still ostensibly leaking.

The rain storm brought with it high winds so I was reluctant to use a tarp. I very carefully taped-up the port in question so it would be sealed from the outside, no tarp. At the next rain I discovered absolutely no change. It was leaking exactly the same, what appeared to be the same amount, and in the same exact spot. I checked my exterior tape job and it was very well taped, no obvious leak potentials visible. This makes me wonder if maybe the water is coming from somewhere else further up the cabin top and not the port at all? Maybe the handrail or hatch fitting, maybe even the base of the mast or something like that? I know on boats it's sometimes crazy where the water ends up coming from, before it works its way out downstream. Could the water appearing from the port be just a red herring?

I do not care for tarps, but I have now temporarily put up a boom tent tarp. So far no water.
Any similar experiences out there? (E27 1977)
Thanks,
tom

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What with cabin top hardware installations, and you mentioned several, and the passage of time (decades)... it's very likely (way!) overdue to rebed everything on the housetop.

Loren

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Loren is right about everything probably being due for rebedding after time. But in the meantime, a common source for the leak you are describing is the traveller mount above that port window. On our boat water seeped in through the bolts holding the port traveller mount in place, then it dripped along the cabin roof a few inches and down the cabin side behind the veneer to the top of the port window, flowed around the aluminum frame and dripped at the bottom of the window, looking like a window leak. I tried everything to stop it, thinking it was the window, and eventually discovered it came from above. Since rebedding that traveller mount the whole area has been completely dry.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Frank

Philip

Member I
Leaking E27

I also have 1 port that leaks, or at least it has the appearance that it is leaking, but now I wonder if that water is just a distraction from the real source of the leak?
The previous owner told me of the port leaking. He said he took it apart twice to try to fix it, and finally had the boat yard fix it. It has new gaskets and has been professionally repaired but the p o reports still leaking. At the first rain since I’ve owned it, indeed it is still ostensibly leaking.

The rain storm brought with it high winds so I was reluctant to use a tarp. I very carefully taped-up the port in question so it would be sealed from the outside, no tarp. At the next rain I discovered absolutely no change. It was leaking exactly the same, what appeared to be the same amount, and in the same exact spot. I checked my exterior tape job and it was very well taped, no obvious leak potentials visible. This makes me wonder if maybe the water is coming from somewhere else further up the cabin top and not the port at all? Maybe the handrail or hatch fitting, maybe even the base of the mast or something like that? I know on boats it's sometimes crazy where the water ends up coming from, before it works its way out downstream. Could the water appearing from the port be just a red herring?

I do not care for tarps, but I have now temporarily put up a boom tent tarp. So far no water.
Any similar experiences out there? (E27 1977)

Thanks,
tom

Sounds to me that a very likely source of the leak may be the hand -hold, traveler, winch or other attachment on the cabin top that may allow water to run down the liner. Boom tent stopped it so most likely not at the mast.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Regarding the port frame to cabintop seal, I have had good success using the cheap RV "Butyl" tape. It's not the high quality glazing type Butyl and I have no idea if there is any Butyl in it but it is easier to work with and cleans up nicely. I have been using the RV stuff for about ten years with 100% satisfaction.

adam

Member III
Todd,
I did all six windows. Four large and two small (one opening port) with single kit. The kit includes the seal around the glass and the rubber trim that caps the frame on the interior side of the port.

I'm failing to get one porthole sealed on the port side of my boat, now one on the starboard side has begun leaking.

Can anyone tell me what that rubber "trim" on the inside of the porthole is supposed to do?

Is it only decorative, or is it supposed to somehow help seal the window?

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Believe it is decorative. Was looking at all the chatter about Boman ports and hatches and it looks like Boman calls it a condensation something or other. I can tell you when removed you can see if the seals are leaking because water will collect filling the frame first. Also the ports look really ugly.

Gregoryulrich

Member III
This is a project I plan on tackling pretty soon. The opening port light in the head leaks badly. I'm wondering g about coring issues. I'm assuming the cabin top is also balsa cored and since the plywood access cover in the head has rotted, the core is probably rotten too.

I would think that digging the rotten core out with a bent hook, like a large dental pick would be the way to go. Mask it with plastic from the outside and aim a small space heater at it for a few days to dry out any residual moisture before filling with epoxy.

Filling the the bottom half seems straightforward tape the edge closed and feed thickened epoxy in with a syringe. How would you fill the the top half? Drill a small hole above the port light opening? Is there a releasing agent you would use?

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
The core above and below my opening port is fairly non-existent. The forward hand rail through hole leaked when I took ownership and likely leaked for years prior. I used some self-expanding insulation foam from Home Depot. Stuck the nozzle in and sprayed. Seemed to do something but was a real mess. It sounded like a good idea at the time? The port doesn't leak although now I wish I knew about the butyl tape back then for the handrail. I guess there's always the next time it leaks!

Just an update on the port job that started this thread -After the first heavy rain I had some leaks. Be sure to silicone the horizontal seem where both halves of the frame come together! I must have missed this on a few ports in my haste. I pulled the interior rubber trim and discovered water pooling in the frame. Sprayed heavily with a hose and found s slow leak. Also one port leaked at the frame. The opening is so poorly cut and it didn't have a good seal where I positioned it.

I applied more butyl tape on that frame and re-siliconed the leaking seams inside and out. Re-tested with hose and so far so good. Next rain will be the real test.

Discovered more leaks - Stern pulpit (both sides) and of all things, the lazarette hinges? Does this ever end????

japerra

Member II
Quarter Berth Leak

Good to know. My recent rebedding of deck hardware failed to slow down the mystery leak coming out of the stbd chase into the quarterberth. Next up is another look at the windows...
Although the glass in some of mine is becoming opaque with haze and might stand to be replaced as well.

In fact, I probably ought to order that just on general principles...

Hey Toddster,

Any luck finding your mystery leak? I re-bedded the ports last year to no avail and re-bedded all of the deck hardware. Just completed a fix of the hull/deck joint today but not sure if that was the fix. I'll let you know.
If you've tracked yours down I'd love to hear.

Thanks,