• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leaking head on '87 32-3

captrick

Member I
I am having a slight leak of water when the head is pumped. The fresh (salt) water seeps from the top of the head unit when pumping water to flush. I have checked the plastic nut that surrounds the pump shaft at the top of the unit and it is tight.

I am not sure of the unit model, but I am almost certain it is the original unit with the boat.

Is this something that is easily repaired with minor service, or more serious? Is this a handyman job or a need for someone experienced with these units (I am compitent but not experienced with these manual head units).

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

'87 32-3, Aransas Pass, Texas

AleksT

Member III
Most heads have a rebuild kit available, you may have to do some research to figure out make and model.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Depending on make and model, rebuild kits are available as mentioned in the above post. I had no experience in rebuilding our head, but was able to follow the step by step instructions that came with the rebuild kit, and was able to do it without difficulty, and I'm no mechanic. Let us know what model you have, and we may be able to guide you through the process.

Frank

stobias

"Alibi"
captrick, I believe that the '87 boats came from the factory with a raritan phe head. If you have a packing nut at the pump shaft exit, I don't think that you have this model. The phe has a seal pressed into the top from the inside. If you can't find a name or number anyplace, a photo would probably bring you some id from a member.
Here is the raritan url:
http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/ph_II/L1010phiiv0303.pdf

captrick

Member I
Thanks

Thanks for the responses and direction. I will take a closer look to try to determine model. On first glance, it does look like the raritan, but does in fact have a packing nut in the top of the unit at the shaft.

Another question: if it is seaping at the packing nut, can it be a simple as removing the nut and replace the packing material?

I will get a chance to look at the unit and will take some pictures and post them - hopefully for some more advice.

Thanks again - Rick

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since the "E" designates the electric model, my guess is that if your boat has a manual head, it is a Raritan PH2. Ericson used to buy them in quantity.

We replaced the original one in our '88 boat instead of putting a new pump on or a kit since our boat had been used a lot before we purchased it.
Great quality toilet. Note that they have changed the twist valve design for "dry bowl" control since the 80's and it nowadays turns a LOT easier.

I have a friend with a wholesale account, so I saved some $ on it, but it's never gonna be very inexpensive. Quality costs money.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

newgringo

Member III
Captrick,
Our 1986 E32-3 has a Raritan head and leaking around the pump shaft is not uncommon. The rebuild kit may help. If your pump housing has a replaceable seal package PN 1214W you are in luck. The older heads did not and you may have to buy a new pump housing if a new seal does not work out. All this is online at www. raritaneng.com.

Mindscape

Member III
Ph ii

My '85 32-3 had the Raritan PH2 as Loren mentioned. I've replaced the orginal (with the same model, bolts right in) and after a few years have had the same leak, and fixed it with the rebuild kit.

captrick

Member I
Pictures of head - Raritan PHII???

This feedback is very helpful. Attached are a couple of pictures of the unit. If I am not a mistaken, looks like a PHII manufactured after '92 (appears to have the replaceable seal nut at the top of the pump unit). Can anyone confirm?

Based on this, would the best thing to do be to start by replacing the #1214W nut and seals?

Thanks again.

Rick

DSCN0974.jpg

DSCN0976.jpg

DSCN0978.jpg

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Replacing that assembly would be the solution, but before buying it I would call Raritan and discuss it with them. I have done this and found them to be very helpful. They have sent me small parts without charge on occasion.

newgringo

Member III
One last thought. All this depends on the pump shaft being in good condition too. It has to be nice and smooth too for a good seal. Forward!

Blue Chip

Member III
You are right. After '92 they changed the design to include a much easier system to seal the top. You're lucky. As to stopping the leak...yep thy have a kit to do just that, and yes, call Raritan. One of the most responsive outfits on the phone I've ever worked with.
Good luck.